Japanese Speedrun for Travel! Elfkan's Study Log

Hey everyone! Currently around 3 days away from level 10, which is quite slow, unfortunately I have been really busy this week and also messed up some reviews which cost some time.
今すぐ and 今まで are throwing me off after a long while as I mix up their meanings. Right now vs until now. Working on distinguishing that through mmemonics and other means as I haven’t yet.
行う and 行き also trip me up still once it isn’t in my head as their meanings are quite far away from the kanji, yes it is connected but still a big leap. Going to have to work on that as well.

Watch some Japanese travel youtube where people take trains! It comes up all the time.

2 Likes

Just my opinion, but I honestly think that it’s unnecessary and inefficient to spend time with mnemonics just to distinguish these. Instead, I recommend killing four birds with two stones and just learn about まで and すぐ, as (いま)まで and (いま)すぐ are literally just combinations of (いま) with these two structures.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Took a bit longer than expected, but we are so back! It was a pretty late night review, so my brain was pretty scattered, still much better recall than I expected. Onto more adventure!

3 Likes

Incorporated most things so far. Had some random amnesia today as a took a nap after learning the kanji and then just forgot most of it after I woke up when I went to do the review, yikes. at least this is the first cylce!

Doing this level much faster! Level 11 should be here by the end of the week most likely. I forgot the difference between 土星 and 木星 today. Should be easy as saturn has a “dirt ring” and jupiter is thick. この前 being “the other day” is also a bit puzzling but I think I can work it out. 路 has been pretty stubborn. The fact that it is road makes a lot of sense, but I got too enraptured by the radicals to remember ろ。Should be fine now though.

1 Like

Also quick note for myself, but one thing I forget is that 前 also means before in some cases, which is quite a big jump in meaning.

1 Like

この前 has decided it needs its own timeout box and will be getting custom treatment. Everything else has been going well!

1 Like

Tada! A faster level up this time, basically almost max pace for this one. Also trying my best to catch up with vocab as well, keeping my deck close to 200 if I can.

1 Like

Got to a pretty perfect blitz start! Also booked my first restaurant today! I opted to turn my name into katakana instead of putting my chinese name, since it would be much stranger to hear it in japanese in my opinion.

At the halfway point, a bit slower than when I was busy. Got jumpscared and felt like I had amnesia since I had 85% rate mostly old stuff.
何月 trips me up when I don’t see it for a while. the gatsu pron. is rare and I feel like I should reliably be able to get it. 欠 also gets me when I don’t see it because I haven’t found something that sticks for a long time. will get working on those, also just blanked out on a bunch of stuff I should have known.
Thankfully, I did get something out of this tradeoff! :smiley:

Worked on a new feature I knew was going to be popular, which was the cartridge visualizer for my grand strategy game. Didn’t expect it to get so much traction. Combined with my marketing efforts, got 100+ downloads for the new version in 2 days and some new community members! Also getting to the top pages on itch for my game genre also helped the feedback loop.

1 Like