Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

In the literal sense 燃やす might be correct. However, the issue is with the context that a burned item means the item is deeply ingrained or committed to memory. I also don’t think that 暗記する or 覚える was appropriate enough so I just write what I can considering my lack of extensive vocabulary. Anyways, thanks for the try though.

1 Like

Yeah, in that sense 燃やす is definitely too literal, I didn’t really think about why it was called “burned” in English (makes perfect sense now that I know, but for some reason it didn’t cross my mind). I did some searching and apparenty 焼き付ける can mean “to burn into one’s memory” - so 焼き付けていた物 might be appropriate.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s interesting, it seems that the word means you’re cooking or baking it into memory.

1 Like

Well, 焼く can mean more than cooking or baking, it can also mean burning (not as in incinerate but as in charring or like burning toast) - wood burning (as in art) for instance is 焼杉版. I think that’s the meaning that expression uses.

1 Like

Actually not sure if this works:
ペリカンは勝てた惜敗(せきはい)っぱなしです。
Is it OK to modify the noun used as a する verb like that – 惜敗(せきはい) “close loss” preceded by ()てた “could have won”? (e: might be considered redundant since that’s basically what 惜敗 implies but still curious about the grammar)

っぱなし

“The Pelicans keep losing close games that they could have won.”
Vmasu + っぱなし: to “keep doing” with intransitive verbs or, with a transitive verb, to do and leave in the resulting state; always have the connotation that the result is undesirable. Creates a noun, so used with appropriate particles or the copula.

Ok. TIL. Though, baking something into memory is a good mnemonic.

1 Like

I’m not sure preceding it with 勝てた works - I think you may be able to modify the nouns used for する verbs in that way, but it’s not as if they could have won the defeat, that doesn’t make sense. So if it’s about losing games you could have won I’d be inclined to say 勝てた試合を惜敗する.

1 Like

I know you wanted to use っぱなし, but my take on what you were trying to say would be something like

ペリカンズは勝ちそうな試合に惜敗しがちです。

So, 勝ちそうな試合 (games where it seems like they will win) and 惜敗しがち (have a tendency to lose in a close result).

に is the particle to mark winning and losing, 試合に勝つ (win a game) 試合に負ける (lose a game)

1 Like

豚は飛ぶことが出来ますと聞きましたけれど、そんなことは信じられません。

I feel I broke the grammar-o-meter with this one :confused: .

1 Like

毎月曜日と金曜日は大好きな2021冬季節のアニメを見ます。下にはアニメのリスト*を見ます:

無職転生 〜異世界行ったら本気だす
のんのんびより のんすとっぷ
進撃の巨人 The Final Season
ゆるキャン△ SEASON2
はたらく細胞!!
はたらく細胞BLACK
ドクターストーン STONE WARS
弱キャラ友崎くん
BEASTARS 2期

Correction

*correction made thanks to andymender.

3 Likes

Thanks to you and @yamitenshi for the help on yesterday’s sentence! Very useful info cause I talk about sports a lot, and I had been looking for an excuse to use ~がち since I read about it in DIJG but never got around to it, that’s perfect.

Today’s:
明日私は二番目のワクチンの注射してもらうはずです。

“I expect to receive my second vaccination tomorrow.”

してもらう work there?

1 Like

今鬼滅の刃を見ている。

Sorry for asking, but shouldn’t it be アニメのリスト as in “list of anime”?

僕の文:いつか、赤くてきれいなヴァンシップを作りたいので、青空を飛んでいますよ。:slight_smile:

Been watching too much Last Exile lately, it seems.

EDIT: My sentence felt boring so I spiced it up with some adjectives :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

国で僕の一番大嫌いな季節は近々です。暑い天気は汗まみれになっている。夏休みがあるから、学生*だけは夏が好きと思います。

*corrected thanks to yamitenshi

1 Like

Do you mean 学生 here?

学生だけでなく、いい天気だったらバイクに乗れているから僕も夏が好きだよ!

2 Likes

Actually, this is an interesting point. I just checked Jisho and apparently 高校生 is correct, even though the rest of the “student” combos (小学生, 中学生, 大学生, etc.) drop the 校 in favor of 生.

1 Like

高校生 is correct, yes, but that’s using 高校 which is short for 高等学校 - meaning it’s essentially the same as 大学生 and 小学生 in that sense. 学校生 however does not seem to be a word as far as I can tell - only thing I can find when searching that is 学校生活 meaning school life, but that’s a combination of 学校 and 生活 specifically.

EDIT: It took a while for what you meant to sink in, I though you’d just misread and were commenting as though I’d corrected 高校生 to 学生…

So I figured since 高校 is an abbreviation, 高等学生 would be a word following the same pattern as all the others… But it turns out it’s not, as far as I can tell. That is interesting indeed.

2 Likes

今朝猫が早過ぎて起きさせたので、一日中疲れました。

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s technically incorrect, but it would definitely be simpler to drop the して and just use 注射をもらう.

1 Like

私がお店へたまごを買いに行っている。I am going to the store to buy eggs.

2 Likes