Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

Oh whoops, I definitely thought I included that だ in there, I guess I was typing too fast and skipped it. Thanks!

1 Like

自分に他の人を比べることの考え方が分からない。皆さんは色々な事情と能力があります。自愛と自分の改善の考え方ほうがいい。

3 Likes

おはようございます。
マイケルです。よろしく!
いま日本語を勉強している。

じゃあ

2 Likes

そうだけど、他人にくらべることはいいかも。気合をいれられて改善を促せる。
しれでも、萎えさせれば問題になる。

1 Like

1月5日にワニカニをはじめる。今日までは同時に日本語のシムレタを作りています。近日、来ます。

分かりました!感心はいいですね。でも、感心は短期です。有利な人がいつもいます。

1 Like

What does シムレタ mean? And as an aside, the て form of 作る is 作って

Simulator.
I am making a japanese language learning sinulator. I may forget the て form of 作る. But the simulator will not. The simulator will preserve context so that comprehensible input can be acquired.

1 Like

Ah, in that case, the spelling is シミュレーター. I wasn’t sure if シムレタ had something to do with sim cards or some other thing I wasn’t familiar with.

Good luck with the simulator.

1 Like

僕はサルと、サーバルやカラカルといった猫以外の中小のネコ()種族(しゅぞく)が好きです。「ジョフロイネコ」は猫の大きさのようなヒョウのようです。

といった

“I like monkeys, and small- and medium-sized cat species other than housecats like servals and carcarals. ‘Geoffroy’s cat’ looks like a leopard the size of a housecat.”
といった: “such as”, highlighting cause I can never remember that one when I need it.
e: hey there’s a の-adjective 中小(ちゅうしょう) that really simplifies the part I wasn’t sure about!

1 Like

Thanks, its going exactly as planned so far. Ill make sure to share the code someday, so that we can all play together in a multiplayer game designed to teach japanese.

Enjoy your life and take it easy my friend!

これから、未来の年代は公平があります。

このグラマーポイントはとても便利で面白いですよね。どうもありがとう!

I think ですけど is okay. I hear it often on the news. Maybe even more often than ですが, but maybe I just pay too much to that phrase :smiley: . I just did a short search and one reference suggested the following alternatives to けど for maintaining politeness: けれど, けども (shorter forms of the mentioned けれども)

今日の文:昨夜は長く眠っていましたので、今日は元気で日本語を勉強したいよ!

Completely forgot about 昨夜 and 昨晩, and could probably use 今朝 more often as well…

1 Like

Interesting, I had no idea ですけど was common. Just felt weird mixing the most casual form of けれども with です but politeness levels still trip me up every time (and will probably continue to do so for a looong time). Also didn’t know about けども!
I think が is more of a written language thing than a spoken language thing, but don’t quote me on that (or do, I’m not your dad… I think)

最近はプラモを作っていった。今まで飛行機を7つ作って今日はF22を作り始めた。

1 Like

Ah, right! I forgot けど is the lowest politeness level of けれども! Thanks for the reminder :slight_smile: .

To be honest, I’m very much a beginner and not very familiar with politeness levels either. And to top it of, there is the male vs female speech in news reports as well and the Thursday announcer dude on スポニチニュース really goes all the way sometimes in the more casual Internet comment block :smiley:.

文プロでいつも「けど」が敬語です。

Intended TL

On Bunpro, I always think that けど is formal. (as opposed to が).

Can you use 敬語 in this context, as “I think x is formal speech”? Or is this kinda nonsense

敬語 doesn’t mean “formal speech” is the main issue. It is a word to encompass three categories of speech, honorific speech (尊敬語), humble speech (謙譲語), and polite speech (丁寧語). All of those involve modifying or clarifying the social standing of the people talking, listening, or being discussed. Things can be formal without doing any of those things, and something like けど doesn’t have one of those 3 functions. It doesn’t contribute honor, humility, or politeness. For “formal” speech you could use something like 改まった言葉 (あらたまったことば) to describe it.

At the same time, けど doesn’t feel all that formal to me. It’s normal to use it in casual speech. が would be more formal than けど in a sentence like (something)ですが(something)

EDIT: As pointed out by @yamitenshi below, it’s at the bottom of the けど, けれど, けれども pillar.

2 Likes

Just checked Bunpro: けど・だけど - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro

It lists けど as the least formal option, followed (in order of ascending politeness) by けども, けれど and finally けれども and が at the same (highest) level of politeness. Looks like you may have interpreted the listing in the exact opposite direction?

2 Likes

やった!今日、二月二十八日、最初の焼き付けていた物*は「大」という部首です。

Don’t know the word for a burned item in Japanese so… gotta Japanglish. Helpful suggestion is very appreciated. Corrected thanks to yamitenshi.

1 Like

You could use 燃やす maybe? So something like 最初の燃やしていた物は「大」という部首です I guess?

1 Like