Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

よこそ!
はい、日常の練習はいいね~

(Novice but I’m pretty sure of this and am also doublechecking with A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar)
I think this does translate more like “If you don’t study Japanese, you won’t understand Japanese” rather than the positive version. To do it the other way, I think the most appropriate conditional expression is the conjunction と – "日本語を勉強すると日本語が分かります。” There are a few others like ば, ~なら, ~たら that all have slightly different uses.

That double negative construction is common – it’s used (with a few specific verbs as the predicate) to express obligation, like “I need to/have to ___” in a way that amounts to more literally “If I don’t do _____, it is not acceptable.”

3 Likes

僕にとって、大切な思い出は歴史的な場所で彼女を始めてキッスしました。

2 Likes

日本語はやはり有用な言語にして面白いホビーです。

I think you’re right. I reviewed the chapter and before I had thought it said that the verbs should be both negative, but now I see it says that a negative verb can follow :sweat_smile:Thank you!

1 Like

猫はフワフワならフワフワなほどかわいいです! :3

~ば~ほど

最近、セキロというゲームがすごく楽しいから、遊びすぎています。でも、ゲームは古い単語し古い話し方を使っていました。それから、九郎様は男性か女性かわからない。

3 Likes

私もそれを遊びたいです。でも、私は遊ぶゲームがもうありすぎます。今FF7Rを終えようとしています。

2 Likes

猫のフワフワさは僕にとって大切だよ

~さ and ~にとって Feedback is welcome :slight_smile: (I mean, it’s always welcome anyways. I just feel less certain sometimes).

The fluffiness of cats is important to me.

スペインでは、1月6日に三博士がスペインの家庭に遠い東の地からプレゼントを届けます。小さくてその伝説を信じていた頃6日は一番日だったが、まだとても特別な日ですよ。家族と一緒にいる機会だし、プレゼント交換をします、毎年1月6日が楽しみです。今年は、ぬい物キットをもらって、うれしかったです。初めてぬいますから、ちょっと大変です。頑張ります!

(Hopefully it makes sense! Sorry about the kind-of-lengthy text).

1 Like

ずっと前から思い出して、私のMP3プレーヤーがとても便利です。音楽をひくだけじゃない、フラッシュドライブを使用したことができました。

TL Note

For now I’ll try to incorporate new grammar points in my sample sentences which will be highlighted in bold.

2 Likes

今日岡崎京子の「pink」を読む終わりました。英語で読みました。次回日本語で読でみるべきですか?

2 Likes

良いアイデアです。今夜どんな言葉を選択したものかと考えています。。。

2 Likes

実は、「ものか」という文法を習いません。グーグルによると、「ものか」がN2級な文法です。でも、使い方と意味は違うです。文法の使い方を教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

2 Likes

今週末写真帳を終わろうとする。ファイト!

1 Like

もちろん!でも、私も今夜それを学んだばかりだから使い方を知らないかもしれません。英語で説明する方が良いです。

英語!

I often try to use something I read today in A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (or elsewhere) for my sentence but nothing really came to mind so I picked up the Advanced volume and flipped to a random page – so I’m not sure if I’m using this correctly. It defines ものか * as a phrase conveying several things in the ballpark of "I wish, " “I wonder”, “It would be nice if”, “I’m at a loss as to…” My intended meaning was “That’s a good idea. I’m thinking about what kind of word(s) I should choose tonight…” (again, no idea if that’s what I actually said but at least Google and Microsoft machine translation basically agree.) Was attempting something like Example B here:

• actually there are two separate entries, the other meaning something like “definitely not” and used with a different grammar
2 Likes

新しい靴を受け取りました。
これは緑の絹で作られました。 色はエメラルドグリーン。私の大好きな色です。
型は2つのストラップがあるメリージェーンです。

2 Likes

犬が階段を登ったから、また下でのを運ばなければなりません。また,のをちょっと重いです。

TL Note

Two uses in a single example. :smiley:

2 Likes

今夜働かないいけないと思ってしまったので、今日新しいのを学びませんでした。仕事に行かなくてよかったけれど、この午後を無駄に使いました。

2 Likes

季節の寒さによって、私が気持ちいいです。だから、冬は大好きです。