Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

私はどうして今いつも「のです」を言っていますか?
今日「のです」と「ので」について読んだので、練習している、んです

Summary

Not too complicated but I did understand them better after learning some details, like how ので is essentially the て-form of のだ.

2 Likes

最近日本のお茶だけを飲んでいます。でも先日ウーロン茶とダージリン茶を買いました。

3 Likes

週末でゲームを遊びすぎったことがありました。だから、遅い晩で眠ることがあります

TL Note

Two uses again, one is for something that I had experienced doing and the other is for something that occurs sometimes (without using 時々 :smiley:) respectively.

1 Like

私は今日ごぜん十一時にうちでコーヒーとお茶を飲みましたた。

3 Likes

コーヒーとお茶を同時で飲みましたか。

1 Like

日本語を学ぶの面白いことなのは英語と多くの類似と思っています。
Edit: Reading a few pages later, I learn to use 多くの directly in front of nouns, not 多い.

~のは ~だ

“I think the interesting thing about learning Japanese is that there are many similarities to English.” As always, unsure if that came out right, any input appreciated.

The construction shifts focus toward the item in the middle, which otherwise might just be sitting in the middle of the sentence attached to some particle – an example usage shows the balanced sentence “John met Jane in August in Tokyo” shifting to variously emphasize “It was John who met Jane in August in Tokyo”, “It was in Tokyo that John met Jane in August”, etc.

1 Like

I’d like to make my sentences focus on a new grammar point, too…I’m not really actively learning Japanese right now though. I’ll start soon but for now I’ll just keep making random sentences.
「ご近所物語」を見ています。このアニメを知っていますか?

先週の木曜日に日本語のクラスは楽しかったけど、中級を登録すればよかった。

I really went for it here: Japanese class last Thursday was fun, but I should have registered for the intermediate level.

Wasn’t sure if I should have just made it 先週の木曜日[[の]]日本語のクラス instead. Obviously, I did some reading about kedo and other options for connecting sentences w/ “but” meanings, and I feel good about that one.

The real stretch was “I should have…” Some light searching gave me a consensus that すればよかった expresses that, but I couldn’t tell if I was supposed to conjugate the verb, leave the “infinitive” (登録する) fully in tact and then add on a full すればよかった, or drop the suru like I did. I went w/ dropping the suru from the infinitive and adding the phrase because I figured it was like a “should have” conjugation form based on an example.

1 Like

今日授業が始まったばかりだけど、もう疲れたんです。だって今学期は早く起きないといけないからでしょう。

宇宙人がJoJoにあるか?本当にびっくりだった

今日仕事は難しくて楽しくないです。家に帰ったら、シャワーを浴びたり、寝たいですが、「少し日本語を勉強しましょう」と思いました。でも、集中できないので、たくさん問題を答えられませんでした。 :pensive:

I’m really not sure about the “i want to x and i want to y” and admittedly spent more time than i thought i would on searching that up. Also 60% sure は is the correct particle for that first sentence… i initially put が but i don’t think i wanted to emphasise the “work”.

That was longer than one sentence, but hopefully no one’s counting!

2 Likes

You got the grammar right! To break it down a little further, ば is a conjunction expressing a conditional relationship between what comes before (“to register for the intermediate level”) and after it (“it would have been good”); the verb that precedes it should be conjugated into its cond‘tional form. すれ is the conditional form of する.

2 Likes

今日は新しい自電車を買いました

1 Like

毎日で運がいい竹に水を出す必要がないです。

2 Likes

Hey, thanks a lot! That makes sense–just analogous enough to the way that romance languages conjugate verbs for it to be graspable (after I’m done and someone’s explaining it).

2 Likes

昨日の文は私が現に先日書いておきました

おく

“I actually wrote yesterday’s sentence the other day (in advance).”
おく used as an auxiliary to the て-form conveys something done in advance, in preparation for later. Kind of like with しまう (“completely, mistakenly”), I wonder if often this isn’t something one would bother to specify in words when speaking English – seems like in many cases that added meaning would just go unsaid and be understood from context.

Also trying out the use of the topic as something other than the subject.

2 Likes

今日、五時午前に寝たが、疲れていません。

1 Like

今日は私の生徒の誕生日なので、カードを書いてあげました。

1 Like

紅茶はありませんが、黒豆茶 なら あります。

2 Likes

僕はこのために生まれてきたんだな。。。 生まれてきて。。。良かった。

T: Note

Didn’t write this one myself but I was so enamored by that phrase I had to write it down while also showing a grammar point. Got it from here: Don’t watch this if you do- HACHAMACHAMAAAA

3 Likes