Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

どんな伝説があるんですか?

Let’s try and redeem myself from yesterday, incorporating some new vocab!

今日、部長は僕に長い昼休みを取らせてくれました。相変わらず15分後電話が鳴りました。

So I’m pretty sure I can use 取る in respect to taking a break, and ultimately sounds better than repeating 休む. I guess ultimately I could just say my boss gave me a long break but I wanted to use the causative again.

My second sentence feels both fine and completely wrong at the same time. 相変わらず is one of the new pieces of vocab I tried to incorporate, it’s something I use quite often in English so it would be good to get it understood in Japanese soonish.

1 Like

Yeah, I can confirm you can say 休みを取る!

More as a question rather than an attempt to correct anyone, I’m wondering if it would be 休みを取らせくれました? I have personally never used the phrase either, so truly just wondering.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s just a typo :smiley:

1 Like

I think it looks good too! I use 相変わらず the same way you did with my tutor and she doesn’t correct me so I think it’s allowed, haha.

2 Likes

こういう伝説か昔話:
昔々、南ポーランドのタトラ山脈には有名な賊が住んでいました。名前はユライ・ヤーノシークでした。ヤーノシークはロビン・フッドかネズミ小僧らしく自分の賊団と一緒にポーランドとスロバキアの山道で貴族を待ち伏せしてお金や宝石などを奪って貧乏な村人にあげました。そして、伝説によるとヤーノシークは超能力者で普通の人間より強くて速かったそうです。兵に難なく勝ったり銃弾から逃げたりしました。幼いころヤーノシークは森の中で三人の魔女に出会ったけれど、全然怖がりませんでした。魔女は男の子の勇気に感心して気に入って三つの贈り物をあげましたから。物はキレイな白いシアツ、黒い皮のベルト、頑丈な長い気の棒。その贈り物のおかげで、ヤーノシークが絶対負けませんでした。残念ながら、ある日ヤーノシークの彼女は彼を裏切って、贈り物を全部壊してヤーノシークを王国の兵に引き渡してしまいました。

If they’re your 部長, one could even use keigo here:
今日、部長は僕に長い昼休みを取らせていただきました

Regarding 相変わらず, instead you could also use いつも通り or 日常のまま, though I’m not sure about the latter.

2 Likes

Just looking at google results, 日常のまま gives significantly fewer results than other options (about 5.6 million). So, definitely used, but not as often.

For reference, いつも通り gives about 17.7 million results, 相変わらず about 37.7 million, and 普通のまま about 56.5 million - though I’m not fully aware of the nuances and formalities of all of those.

2 Likes

The corresponding keigo for くれました would be くださいました.

いただきました would work if you were the subject and you were replacing もらいました.

3 Likes

The causative confused me even after looking up the forms online :sweat_smile:. Thanks for the correction!

Yeah, unfortunately I don’t see まま being used in varied enough contexts in books to make good educated guesses :pensive:. Also, come to think of it, 日常のまま doesn’t really make sense here…

1 Like

僕は日本人のように日本文を書けます!

Time to blow my own trumpet after reaching the last grammar point in lesson 22.

One chapter to go then it’s nearly Quartet time

1 Like

Linchouさんもヨーロッパ出身ですね!その伝説について初めてに聞きました!

2 Likes

今日は友達と猫カフェに行ってきました!:cat2:

1 Like

そうです!僕はヨーロッパに生まれて住んでいます。ところで、「委員長」です。
ワニカニに登録したら英語の文字しか使えませんでした。

伝説についてどう思いますか。 :slight_smile:

あ、委員長さんですね!

面白いですね、伝説って!書いてくれてありがとうございます!沢山の国にこんな伝説あるのかなーって思ってました。自分の母国なら、一番人気な伝説はサンタさんかもしれません🤣

2 Likes

どういたしまして!大したことではありません。 :slight_smile:

そうですね。ポーランドにヤーノシークがいれば日本もネズミ小僧がいますね。

本当ですか。サンタさんを知っているけど、幼いころから信じられていません。 :sweat_smile:

ネズミ小僧も初めて知りました!

そうなんですか(笑)まぁ、国の文化の違いですかね!フィンランド人だから、子供のころからずーっとサンタさんのことをしりましたからね :smile:

1 Like

実は日本語の授業を受け始める前には母国の伝説や昔話などを全然覚えなかったので、よく恥ずかしかったのです。 :man_facepalming:
先生が何か母国について教えてくれませんかと言った度に、僕は全然知らないと答えました。本当に恥ずかしいです。

沢山の人にはそうだと思ってるから恥ずかしからなくていいです!
私もそうです!委員長さんと伝説について話して、フィンランドの伝説を調べてみたらほとんど知らなかった伝説だけでしたw

1 Like