Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

ファイアーエムブレム エンゲージの限定販売を予約注文しました。ゲームは金曜日にリリースされます。楽しみ!

I pre-ordered the Fire Emblem Engage limited edition. The game releases on Friday. I’m looking forward to it!

3 Likes

持久走中攻略法は私より少し速い人の真後ろで走ります。

During endurance running, my strategy is to run right behind someone a little faster than me.

I’m trying to use newly learned vocabulary, haha.

3 Likes

あの、もし攻略方法を意味しますか。攻略というのは敵の地域や国を侵攻するという意味です。英語のstrategyは作戦や戦略や計略などです。:blush:

1 Like

I’m taking the meaning from this page, so very likely I got it wrong haha. For context Echizen (boy in cap) hit a special move but Fuji (person thinking) was able to return it.

Top right: But that Drive B was better than expected
Top left: I can’t find any strategies like that (???)
Bottom right: I was able to return it because your stamina was depleted from endurance running
Bottom left, Echizen: What are you looking at?
Bottom left, Fuji: Nothing really

I took the translation of 攻略法 from Google Translate (I know, not the best but it works most of the time) and context from the manga to mean a strategy in a competition. I quickly Googled it too and it seems like people use it to mean strategy in video games sometimes too? What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

I think it makes more sense in the context of the manga and video games where it’s kind of clear it means “a strategy/method of attack”. I couldn’t find 攻略法 in a dictionary, but only 攻略 and figured the 法 is kind of like 方法. Never saw it in action myself, sorry.

The 持久走 kind of biased me I guess. ごめん!
For that you could probably go with 走り方 or something similar that focuses less on you trying to somehow fight against the person before you and more on the aspect of running itself :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

いいえ、心配しないで。私達は一緒に習っています!

2 Likes

Long time no see!

病院でいったおじいさんはタバコを吸うのやめたくなかったです。

Trying to say: my grandad, who was in hospital, didn’t want to quit smoking.

2 Likes

As I understand it, quitting smoking is just タバコをやめる, and 吸う isn’t necessary here. If you do want to include it, I’d include a を after the の for clarity, but I think in colloquial speech it’s generally acceptable to omit it.

Also, the past tense of いる (which I think you meant to use here because of your translation) is いた, いった is the past tense of 行く. If you did mean to use 行く I think に fits better than で.

One thing that isn’t incorrect per se but is good to keep in mind: using 〜たい (and its inflections) with others makes for a very strong statement of fact about someone else’s feelings, which is generally not done. It’s not impossible or always improper, you can do it for characters in a story for instance, but in normal conversation you generally wouldn’t do that unless you’re quoting what you think or what they themselves said, or similar things. So 田中さんは行きたいと思う is fine, as is 田中さんは行きたいと言った but 田中さんは行きたい on its own is a bit awkward.

In those situations you’d use 〜たがる, which literally makes it into something like “[person] seems to want [thing]” (it’s a combination of 〜たい to express desire and the auxiliary verb がる meaning to show signs of, to behave as if, that sort of thing). That softens the statement so you’re not making a factual statement about someone else’s feelings but rather making observations and interpreting those as them feeling something. It’s the same with some other adjectives like 怖い - you’d generally say 怖がる about someone else.

Tofugu, as always, has some helpful articles on these:

So depending on the situation, you might say something like

病院でいたおじいさんはタバコをやめたがらなかったです

or if this is for instance a fictional story involving your grandfather and you’re just describing the situation

病院でいたおじいさんはタバコをやめたくなかったです

4 Likes

In this specific case I would suggest 入院した - hospitalized

とにかく、やみ先輩の説明が大好きだよ。

4 Likes

ニコチン中毒は大変ですよね

1 Like

合格キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

6 Likes

おめでとうございます!

1 Like

ありがとうございます!!(´▽`)

昨日は旧正月でしたから、母はたくさん美味しい食べ物を作ってくれました。デザートは生果物でした。お腹がいっぱいでした!

Yesterday was Lunar New Year so my mom prepared a lot of yummy food. Dessert was fresh fruit. I was so full!

1 Like

すごいです。うまくできておめでとうございます!

ありがとうございます
ギリギリだけど、まさか一発で合格すると思わなかったw

3 Likes

今朝お茶を飲んだら舌を火傷しまいました

I burned my tongue while drinking tea this morning

Not sure if 飲んだら is the best option to get my point across, so thoughts would be appreciated!

2 Likes

今朝お茶を飲みながら、舌を火傷させてしまいました。
but probably better
今朝お茶を飲む時、舌を火傷させてしまいました。

Not sure about 火傷. Does it work with tongues? I think it means actual physical burns. It’s also intransitive so the 舌 does the 火傷.

3 Likes

Silly transitive/intransitive. I’ll learn it eventually, lol. Thank you so much as always!

Hm, yeah, I don’t know if 火傷 works for tongues either. Would be good to know since…unfortunately this is not a rare occurrence, hahaha.

2 Likes

I’m sure someone else here would know. If not, I can ask my teacher tomorrow. 問題じゃありませんよ。

2 Likes