Japanese Sentence a Day Challenge

I can’t speak with certainty, but the native definition does mention hot water and such in the definition, so I think using it for scalding your tongue should be fine?

火炎・熱湯や高温物体、熱線などに触れて皮膚が焼けただれること。表皮部分では紅斑が生じる程度であるが、真皮 (しんぴ) に及ぶとむくみ・水ぶくれなどができ、皮下にまで及ぶと壊死 (えし) に陥ることが多く、治ってもひきつれやケロイドの残ることがある。かしょう。

3 Likes

Since I rarely post, here’s my take on a legend of my 出身地:
昔々、クラクフでは、ヴァヴェル城の坂の下の洞窟の中に、残虐な火を吐く竜が住んでいました。毎日、竜は住民と王から牛の供えを要求しました。供えがない際には、その代わりに竜は同じ数の住民を食ってしまいました。皆は竜が乱暴したり怖かったりすると思ったので、ヴァヴェル王は誰かが竜を殺せばいいのにと思って、報奨金を供えりました。多くの騎士は竜に挑戦するためにクラクフに来て竜と戦いました。残念ながら、竜の力も火の息も強すぎたので、騎士はみんな倒されてしまいました。しかし、ある日報奨金と竜の残虐さを聞いた靴屋がクラクフに来ました。実は、この靴屋はすごく賢い人で、すぐに竜を倒す方法を考えました。靴屋は火薬が入った偽物の牛をうまく作って竜に持ってあげました。竜は頭がいいくせに、その偽物の牛を全部食べました。だが、火薬が竜の胃袋をダンダン焼くようになったので、竜は近くのヴィスワ川に行って飢えそうに水を飲み始めました。もういっぱい飲んでも、もっともっと飲みがちで突然ダメな胃袋が破裂してしまって竜は死にました。その後、靴屋は嬉しそうなヴァヴェル王から報奨金をもらって王女と結婚しました。お仕舞いです!

You can use 火傷 with 舌.

There’s no need to make it causative.

5 Likes

それを全部読むつもりはありません。
嬉しいけど。
それとも、ごめんなさい。

:innocent:

1 Like

Could you explain a bit more? I thought 火傷する is intransitive. :pensive:

If you search for “を火傷” you can find many transitive examples. Was there something you thought pointed in the other direction?

1 Like

My doubt and the definition on jisho :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t really know what to say about that.

Interestingly enough, the first example sentence for 火傷 in 日本語例文用例辞書 is relevant.

9 Likes

For the record, 明鏡国語辞典 (or at least the version of it I have imported into Yomichan) also has it listed as 自サ変, which I figured would be intransitive, but apparently that’s not so much a rule as it is a sort of very loose guideline :sweat_smile: either that or I’m misinterpreting what 自サ変 means

1 Like

I feel validated that that’s the first example, lol

(Edit: wanted to add that I meant I feel validated that so many people burn their tongues that it’s a worthy enough occurrence to warrant a top example choice, hahaha)

4 Likes

Just to be clear, you do still need する. Your version was just 火傷 and しまう with no する in between, but して would be correct as opposed to させて.

Apologies if you had already worked that out.

3 Likes

Should’ve checked the sentences. :nerd_face:

(In jisho, I mean)

1 Like

昨今勉強している間僕は音楽を聞いている。
Nowadays, I listen to music while studying.

How would I add “to help me concentrate” to this sentence?

2 Likes

Something like 集中できるために might work.

That aside, I wouldn’t specify 僕は here. It’s generally implied when nothing else is specified and nothing else is inferred from context.

I’d also go for 聴く over 聞く, it’s the same word but a different kanji, which is a bit more common when referring to listening to music.

I’m also not entirely sure about the usage of 間 here and how natural it is, but I’m not at all qualified to judge that. Personally I’d have just opted for 勉強したら, but maybe both are okay, or maybe I’m wrong, I’m really not sure, so I’ll stick with 間 like you used it.

So you’d end up with 昨今勉強している間、集中できるために音楽を聴いている.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t use 間 either, maybe ながら.

4 Likes

I guess it feels more like a conditional to me - as in “whenever I study, I listen to music”. I’d probably drop the progressive tenses as well.

Couldn’t for the life of me explain why though, and I’ve been wrong when going by feel before, so don’t take that as any kind of sage wisdom :joy:

1 Like

上司は私が昨日結婚したことを聞いたとき、オフィスに二つのケーキを買ってくれました。

When my boss heard that I got married yesterday, he bought two cakes for the office.

2 Likes

I’m probably going to regret opening my mouth again, but here goes :joy:

Instead of 昨今 one could use 今では or 今は, where 今では would kind of overemphasize how the “now” is different from what was before. So maybe 今は.

Regarding たら and 間, probably たら or maybe even と since it’s the “nowadays” and not merely “now”.

Lastly, I’m not sure I would use ために and instead use ように.
今は勉強すると、集中できるように音楽を聴く。

But one could probably construct this sentence several different ways and they would mean slightly different things.

3 Likes

Or 最近. :eyes:

I’m more partial to する時, myself. :thinking:

2 Likes

Not sure if できる is needed. So, 集中するため or 集中のため. But for ように, probably indeed 集中できるように.

I would probably use とき as for meaning occasion.

1 Like