Japanese proficiency self-assessment

Hi all,
I tried to create a self-assessment to check ones Japanese proficiency level. It should help to identify those areas where you have a gap on your journey to fluency based on your current baseline (e.g. aiming for N3). For my part I have a gap in regard to grammar and I try to fix it with focusing more on BunPro.

Do you think something like this is helpful? Did I miss any aspect?

Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Holy crap, thatā€™s beautiful!!!

I like to keep track on my progress but youā€¦ oh you ā€¦ have take it to a whole new level.
Graphics, like if it was a video game, and character stats :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

With that out of the way :smile:

Vocabulary: Kaniwani?? What does it mean?? Ainā€™t that the same as Wanikani (yeahā€¦ yeahā€¦ but in english I knowā€¦ supossed to be useful for production, but not a vocab resource actually).

I would advice, if not already to have some way of learning of at least keep track of vocab in a different way, both WK and Jpod101 and maybe tutor will get you new vocab so maybe get all that together in Anki, Houhou or something among those lines.

Now I donā€™t really know how much help this is actually but thereā€™s this Dunningā€“Kruger effect ā€¦ where self judgement of ones skills itā€™s not so accurate, so I wouldnā€™t put much care into evaluating skills like that . Most objective ways tend to be cruder but more helpful too (get a book above your level, and you know you get better cause you understand it, same with shows, conversations, etc)

ANyway my 2cents only. Iā€™m learning as well, so take it with a grain of salt of course :wink:

ps. with the seff evaluation bias I mean related to fluency actually, JLPT test has clear objectives and target goals , so I guess It would make more sense an evaluation like that one.

You are a genius!!
I think that if those sources really help you to get to what the JLPT asks of you, then keep the hard work! But in case you feel like some of those are not as good for your way of learning, there sure are many other options to improve your level of Japanese in a more complete way.
More than actually seeing if your sources help you as much as needed, it looks perfect! Thatā€™s a really cool and effective way to visualize your strong and weak points in an easy manner, plus I think you got all of the most important aspect of language learning, so itā€™s very complete.
:clap::clap::clap:

How are you actually assessing your ability in each of those areas?

7 Likes

Thought it was a great idea so I made one myself!
However, it doesnā€™t so much reflect my proficiency as it does progress. I use WK progression for kanji, Kanzen Masterā€™s reading comprehension books, the JLPT listening part, core 10k for vocab, and the Kanzen Master grammar books.

4 Likes

What I think when I see stat graphs

4 Likes

I was wondering the same. I thought maybe this was the output of some kind of testing program OP had written and had just forgotten to post the link to, but based on other peopleā€™s responses, they donā€™t think that. I feel like Iā€™m missing somethingā€¦

2 Likes

i have no idea about my level. how can i assess ? i cant do it by myself ??!

1 Like

Assessing Kanji (+ associated vocals) and Grammar can be derived from the tools. For Kanji you can see how much of the JPLT level you covered with www.wkstats.com . For Grammar you can see in BunPro how many grammar points of a particular JLPT level you covered.
Regarding listening comprehension I would say it depends on the proficiency level you select (e.g. ā€œupper intermediateā€ would represent N3 I assume) which you are still comfortable listening to.
Regarding conversation it is close to impossible to assess it based on your own judgement. So when I have Skype lessons with experienced teachers, I ask them where they see me level compared to peers etc.

But yes, self assessment is definitely not as good as proper testing, i.e. taking the JLPT exams and see how much % you get right.

Thank you for the feedback. I guess I should have invested more time in studying grammar rather then creating a fancy tracker :wink:

Thanks for the hint about the Dunning-Kruger effect, definitely a pitfall and something I learned the hard-way when traveling to Japan the first time, full with confidence about my own Japanese proficiency level :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I stick with KaniWani as it really helps me to learn only vocabulary for which I know the related Kanji. For example my retention rate is much higher when I learn é§č»Šå “ and know the readings and meanings instead of trying to remember ā€œć”悅恆恗悃恘悇恆ā€.

Ah I see you are a proficient user of Powerpoint as well :smiley: I havenā€™t used Kanzen Master before, would you recommend it as a source for reading comprehension? Until know I sticked with online resources as it is quicker to look up a word if donā€™t know meaning.

1 Like

KUMIMOTES%20EP2-13 I just edited your image with GIMP.

Itā€™s pretty good. All kinds of texts, all at your level, complete with comprehension quizzes.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.