Japanese in the wild4版 (Black Panther 版)

It’s been awhile since I’ve done one of these. In honor of Chadwick Boseman, I thought I’d put up the Japanese poster for Black Panther.

All of these kanji show up within the first 13 levels (including the line above the title).

Can you understand it?

9 Likes

Two more

Beginner

More advanced

3 Likes

最新作 idk what is it but i guess it read as ごしんさく

3 Likes

さいしんさく the newest release

8 Likes

国王として守るか?

Can he protect (his kingdom) as a king?

ヒーローとして戦うか?

Can he fight as a hero?

新「アベンジャーズ」につながるマーベルスタジオ最新作

The latest work by Marvel Studio, in the same world as in the Avengers.

国王とヒーロー…2つの顔をもつ男。

A king and a hero… [he is] the man with two faces.

マーベル史上最も謎を秘めた新ヒーロー
「ブラックパンサー」が登場!

The newest hero with the most secrets in Marvel history,
Black Panther is here!

世界が、彼の秘密を狙っている

The world is after his secrets.

And the rest is too small for me to read…

4 Likes

Oops. Got 国王 and 国宝 mixed up… but I wasn’t too far off. Seriously questioned my memory of the film, though!

3 Likes

I feel like more people would click this thread if it was clearer that it was about Black Panther :joy:

2 Likes

Interesting. I was thinking

A king and a hero…a man with two minds.

I suppose so, 顔 does mean face though. And I think in English we also say things like “two-faced” (although typically in a bad way) or like, “a person with many faces” to mean someone who acts different ways in different situations. I feel like the metaphor makes enough sense in translation.

1 Like

Yea that’s why I was thinking mind as an English translation, going for meaning over literal translation.

And to be honest, when I first read it, I mistook 顔 for 頭. lol

How’s that title now?

I would argue that the expression is more about outward appearances or societal expectations than it is about a way of thinking though. He has two “faces” - one he shows when he’s a king, and one he shows when he’s a hero. It’s about how other people see him. There probably is a better way to translate it that gets around the implications of the phrase “two-faced” in English but imo using “mind” is kind of changing the meaning. Also to me at least, “two faces” and “two-faced” don’t quite come across as the same thing, as one is a metaphor and the other is a set expression.

2 Likes