Japanese Grammar App

Yes, the same problem is happening to me just now :sweat_smile:
It’s the first time it has happened though.
There is a Bunpro thread on this forum and someone has already messaged them about it, so hopefully it’s fixed soon!

2 Likes

Thank you for checking it. I will check Bunpro again to register for it. meanwhile if you have any notification about the site restoration please notify here.

1 Like

Yes, I had that error, too. It usually worked just fine. I trust them. They must work hard on it. BP will be just fine.

Disclaimer: I’m not being paid by BP. I’m just a plain user who loves BP from the first glance.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will wait for them to fix it.

1 Like

I’m here to let you know that BP is up now.

3 Likes

Personally I see little value in SRSing grammar. It seems something that it’s much better grasped by just reading about it and then promply use it (reading).
In the end there’s a switch that it’s needed for learning any language, that’s start using it.

I did a similar post earlier this year

10 months later I went with → bunpro → Japanese the Manga Way —> Dictionary Of Basic Japanese Grammar —> CureDolly’s videos on Youtube …

All along I’ve been reading constantly… and in the end now I just review new grammar like any vocab, and try to keep reading, as this has been superior to any SRS, specially in learning the different ways any particular grammar point can be used.

So, this is the anwser I would give my self earlier this year :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

+1 for Bunpro - it links to Tae Kim, Imabi and other resources to go into grammar points further. Being able to “cram” on grammar points which are giving you trouble between reviews is handy too.

It’s SRS but don’t treat it exactly like you would WK - I recently made the mistake of unleashing as much grammar at once as I would lessons on WK and now my reviews are a gigantic leech farm. :smiley:

6 Likes

r e g r e t

3 Likes

I agree to a certain extent though I think reading is on the easier side of grammar understanding. I think the true test is real time conversation and then followed by writing. In this respect, I think SRS grammar does help (or least can give an honest assessment of weak areas). There are nuances and conjugations than may otherwise not get tested if one is just reading. That said, I think you make a great point to followup with grammar understanding with continued reading and if your successful with methods, to each their own :blush:

I tend to hoard grammar books and dictionaries which I still use often. A reason I settled on BP was the amount of example sentences per grammar point and a collective area to measure my understanding. I agree, for a grammar point to stick it really needs to be used.

3 Likes

Thank you its a help indeed.

1 Like

thanks for sharing your Japanese journey, it is worth to me. my final aim is to be able to read Japanese books. I have started reading Kanji Learner’s Course Graded Reading Set. That book is connected with Genki, and as I am using the ebook its a bit difficult for me to carry around the Genki book always while I am using the ebook. by the way I indeed agree that reading is the best mean to contexualize any vocabulary or grammar and I will increase the share of reading as much as possible along with grammar lesson.

2 Likes

If so, then totally go for it!! Current problem for me with SRS apps it’s time… eventually I got really efficient at including SRS apps in my daily activities, problem was that I tended to leave reading (an overall immersion) for the end of the day… at the dusk of my will for japanese learning, so it was easily delayed.

Now try icluding reading as the first japanese activity you do in the day (or at least a constant one) and gradually all the rest seems easier… vocab is much more familiar… grammar seems like something you are seeing constantly… and kanji … well, my readings are still those of primary school kids, so that’s still to be really tested.

Of course I’m mostly aiming at reading and watching shows now… no JLPT in my horizon and only in a couple months I’ll really need speaking (going to Japan), so take that into consideration when reading this :wink:

How come? you mean like terms more often used in spoken language? Or maybe something so obscure that you might study but then it’s nowhere to be found :open_mouth:

1 Like

Interesting. I just made an eerily similar post in another thread. Do you have any reading resources to recommend?

At what level of WaniKani do you suggest starting Bunpro or Genki or any other grammar studies? Do you need to have more of a Kanji and vocabulary base knowledge to start?

1 Like

Personally I started learning grammar right after I learned to read hiragana :slight_smile:
Tae Kim’s grammar guide is nice because it has vocab lists for all its example sentences
I think by level 5 you should be good though!

2 Likes

I checked out Bunpro, and it looks interesting - currently, SRS learning seems to work well for me. I even accidentally found out that they offer Paypal payment, too - this makes this European student without a credit card rather happy :sweat_smile:

I’m taking a beginner’s class at university which at this point focuses mostly on basic conversation, and grammar is only an aside, but I feel like I should start to understand it as soon as possible. Classes won’t get easier in the future! I’m glad there’s a free Bunpro trial - I’m not really sure how learning grammar by SRS is supposed to work, but now I can find out how (and whether) it does. Thanks to everyone who recommended it!

2 Likes

I think genki is good to go to as soon as you learn hiragana and katakana. After all, it is meant for the very beginning of a student’s journey. I would start bunpro after you know a few more kanji since it appears they use some from the very beginning. Maybe around level 7-10 if I remember correctly after resetting my account :sweat_smile: Other input would be great on this since my memory isn’t the best.

1 Like

Those are good examples. I think for me, the SRS helps bridge the gap after being able to read/comprehend a sentence and then execute it cleanly. For example, even with conversation partners and classes, I don’t have a great opportunity to practice keigo type sentences (though reading comprehension is not a problem) so BP has helped me with changing scenarios with various verbs to humble/honorific. Another example might be causitive-passive type sentences which are not exactly rare but i don’t always have a great excuse to use them often either. Again, reading is no problem but conjugating the verb correctly or fliping the sentence structure from caustive to causitive-passive (or switching the shorter version) takes some practice for me. Another example might be there are a million ways to structure “must/should”. Speaking, I have several favorites I like to use but there are subtle meaning differences and I want to be solid on all of them and at least for listening (BP helped me get a bit stronger on this front). I hear you when it comes to time so I suppose we have to be selective on how we use it.

3 Likes

Bunpro lets you hover over the kanji-containing text to reveal the hiragana… or is it hovering over the hiragana text to reveal the kanji… anyway, it’s hover to reveal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It can also show furigana across the board, and there’s the option to import one’s WK API key and only show furigana for kanji one hasn’t encountered. Pretty nifty! Also prevents me from being lazy and just reading the furigana when I’m not 100% sure :innocent:

1 Like