Japanese boss & me

Hello cragibators!

I work in oil & gas company and today we had round table with a very-very-very-very big boss and he is Japanese. I came up with a good question and he answered it and it looked like i made a really good impression on him.

When the round table was over, i decided to come to him and say something AWWWMAZING in japanese to impress him.

In front of a crowd, i said あなたの答え下さってありがとうございました。 He looked at me like he was trying to read something from my face and eventually said: “Looks like this guy is going to Japan”.

I’m not sure whether my sentence was correct (I’m on my way to finish Genki 2), so my questions are:

Was my japanese sentence correct? (or at least acceptable) and your opinion about what he could possible think.

Thanks a million.

9 Likes

heavily breathing
Please help this fella!
Sorry for my behavior!

2 Likes

don’be so cruel!!! lol

i am curious.
i wish it was good enough!!!

:scream::scream:

16 Likes

Hey there! I think あなた might be a little odd in this context since he is a 目の上の人, and Japanese people generally refer to eachother more by name or omit altogether. Maybe

質問を答えてくださってありがとうございました。

“Thank you for doing me the favor of answering my question”
vs “Thanks for giving your answer”

Nice job though! looks like someone is up for the next promotion :wink:

10 Likes

He was probably impressed you knew any Japanese at all, whether or not it was entirely correct (like they said above me – あなた isn’t something you’d use with anyone, much less someone that’s an 上の人). Japanese people can be really easily impressed lmao.

That being said – good job! Making that jump to say anything can be difficult sometimes. :v::star:

7 Likes

Well their language is so dang difficult so when I open my mouth to speak broken Japanese they better be well impressed or else I’m throwing a tantrum!

15 Likes

You called your boss’s boss “anata”… Yeah I’m sure you made a great impression on him.
Stop watching so much anime.

8 Likes

Rest in peace

13 Likes

To be fair, あなた is introduced in a lot of learning resources as a way to refer to others, not just in anime

To OP, I think it’s great that you made the effort to say something in Japanese, it can be incredibly intimidating but based off of the response he gave, I’m sure he recognized and appreciated your effort ^^

16 Likes

…Are you totally sure he speaks Japanese?

13 Likes

o:

the plot thickens

5 Likes

At least he is aware of Japan.
good job @radez san.

1 Like

Not like he said おまえ.

2 Likes

In a body bag!

12 Likes

We all make mistakes, no one learns a new language without ever making a mistake… sure, some are more unfortunate than others, but japanese people aren’t stupid or oblivious to what it takes to learn a new language, they can tell when you’re making an effort and you’ve made a mistake.

Do you say things like that to people that are learning your language?

23 Likes

I’m laughing at this thread everyone is cruel.

Well he received it in a friendly way so don’t worry about it too much. Like others said it’s not common for people to speak Japanese so anything would’ve been enough probably.

Besides that, well everyone already said what was wrong.

Don’t worry lol

4 Likes

Well, the good news is that using pronouns incorrectly is like, the #1 thing that beginners do wrong, so he knows you’re a beginner. When you get more advanced mistakes can be more dangerous, because the person might actually believe that you understand the implications of your word choices.

33 Likes

Quite a few years ago, I had a boss in Japan (I was the only non-Japanese employee in a restaurant kitchen) who asked at one point why I had come to Japan. I meant to say something like “Why do you ask?” But my Japanese was quite limited to mainly intimate communication at that point so it came out as なんで? which made everyone around the table cringe and then apologize on my behalf.

It happens.

13 Likes