Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 🎄 🇯🇵

day 16

TRUMP - vampire school, basically. picked cos of the cover, cos it’s :ok_hand: some old-fashioned language (tho not as much as i was expecting), found it a little difficult to follow what was going on, partly cos it’s quite fragmented and slow going but mostly cos i’m really bad with faces (of which there were many) and names (of which there were few). interesting tho, the sample almost felt too short like it was just getting going by the time it cut off (more so than the other stuff i’ve read)

7 Likes

Day 16

三枚のお札

New story for me. My daughter received five small boxes of 日本昔話 that her おばあちゃん had received from her mother. Had to rush read through this one so I’ll have to go back through slower to get more of the story. There was a witch and a boy from a temple who didn’t listen to his master, he hid in a toilet to escape the witch, supposedly learned his lesson.

9 Likes

:u7981: Advent of Ascending Kanji - Day 16 :secret:

Sixteen stroke kanji: 曇

Cloudy Weather; cloud up
Kun: くも.る
On: ドン

Practice

More lines means more things can go wrong

9 Likes

I’m having crazy dejavu right now. Today’s reading was ねずみの嫁入り by 楠山正雄 but I swear I read a variation of this story super recently. It doesn’t seem to be any of the ones in this challenge though…? Am I going crazy? Why do I already know this story? :exploding_head:

Oh, easier children’s story by the way. Should be relatively beginner friendly!

9 Likes

Forgot to answer this! It feels too short and insubstantial to be a stand alone Halloween read. Perhaps if you had several similar short stories? I’m wracking my brain to think of Aozora spooky reads and all I’ve got is 幽霊 (another 乱歩 short), セメント樽の中の手紙, and 雪女. That middle one is probably more depressing than spooky though.

5 Likes

Dec17

Kanji in Ascending Stroke Order
Strokes:17

Kun: かぎ
On: ケン

Words of the day: けんばん (keyboard (of a piano, typewriter, etc.)), あいかぎ (master key, passkey, duplicate key), かぎアカ (private account (on social media, esp. Twitter); account that can only be viewed by approved followers)

Today’s kanji means, very simply, key. It’s a Jōyō kanji taught in junior high. Apparently it’s not in JLPT, but I run across it in novels all the time. In WK it’s level 46.

Here’s the stroke order:

And variations:

8 Likes

Haha I just learned that yesterday! Was a bit confused at first (a tray full of keys??) but when I looked it up it became clear! (Didn’t really help that the context was not piano but virginals, a medieval instrument :woman_shrugging:)

6 Likes

:joy: I can see myself wondering the same thing if I came across it randomly. In what book are you reading about medieval instruments?! Oh, is it the one with the pirates?

5 Likes

Dang, how did you guess that! :rofl:

It’s about time I started talking about other books, I guess :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

December 17

Kanji writing
Origami
Song
Mystery book reading

Kanji writing

Origami

10 Likes

Day 17

< day 16 day 18 >

8 Likes

Switched to a .5 fineliner halfway through for this one.

Also sightly unrelated, but I woke up this morning with a completely random urge to practice writhing with my left hand… I might try and keep it up for 30 days and see if there’s improvement

8 Likes

:spiral_calendar: :christmas_tree: Japanese Advent Calendar 2022 – Day 17 :christmas_tree: :spiral_calendar:

December 17th

Today’s Kanji:

Kun’yomi: かぎ

On’yomi: ケン

Meaning: key

:fountain_pen: Kanji writing

Kanji writing practice

I quite like the look and meaning of today’s featured Kanji by you, @omk3. That’s why I chose it too.

I was relieved that the writing felt doable despite having to squeeze in the last component between the other two. :relieved:

9 Likes
day 17

blue lock volume 1 - thought i’d try it, since everyone was so hype about it for a while. energy 10/10, i’d read a whole volume!

8 Likes

Challenge accepted! :joy:
not a complete disaster, but …yeah

8 Likes

That’s not bad!
It feels really weird because a left-to-right stroke with the right hand is a kind of pulling motion, but a pushing one with the left hand.
I also had to spend a good minute just figuring out how to hold the pencil properly :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Yes, that felt weird. I tended to try and start the strokes from the opposite side. I also had a hard time not smudging what I had already written with the side of my hand. Japanese is flexible that way, next time I’d better write right to left.

7 Likes

Oh my goodness!!! I am so behind! :face_with_spiral_eyes: Had to travel for work since Dec 14 and just got back home today. Was so busy and tired that I could only listen to songs and could barely stay up for my WK reviews… :cry: I even brought origami paper with me but i completely overestimated myself.

Catching up two days at a time!

December 14 and 15

Winter songs
Kanji writing
Origami

Kanji writing

December 14

December 15

Origami

December 14

December 15

<<day 13 day 16/17/18>>

10 Likes

Day 17

古屋のもり

Another new story for me. I need to do another read through a bit slower. If I can find my daughter’s unused and spare writing practice I think I might go back and do the writing prompts left in this thread.

8 Likes

:u7981: Advent of Ascending Kanji - Day 17 :secret:

Seventeen stroke kanji: 翼

Wing; plane; flank
Kun: つばさ
On: ヨク

Practice

Laptop woke up today with a hangover from Window’s latest updates and decided that it didn’t want to do anything properly. Audio and a bunch of other stuff decided it was suddenly “broken”. These were simple fixes, but it also turns out that laptop doesn’t want to communicate with drawing tablet properly anymore, so the calibration is all over the place and it’s forgotten what pressure sensitivity is.

But I really can’t be bothered right now to trudge through a load of display fixes only for it to be something ridiculously simple. So you’ll have to forgive the extra wobbly writing today as I had to try and guess where the pen was supposed to be.

8 Likes