It's normal?

I think you should focus your attention more on the items you get wrong. If you can’t remember WK’s mnemonic come up with your own way to remember it.

Hearing a new word used in content I find interesting usually helps for me.

I general I aim at ~95% accuracy. If I get below 90% I get pretty upset. Never got accuracy below 80% (well except when I review a queue of just a few items).

I really get upset as well I think nobody like to fail and see more than 12 words wrong since it is something very frustrated. Still, when I can’t remember the word actually I know what it does mean, so the problem I have with some words is just at the moment to remember how writte it, for that reason I love kanjis because are a guide and help a lot to remember vocab.

I am normally between 85-95% and it was worrying me a bit. I guess its not too bad though.

I seem to average between 65 and 75% on my vocab reviews the day following a level up. As I learn the bulk of my new vocab straight away I’m ok with this… Once the day has passed my review count starts to thin out a little and I can find some extra time to study the vocab I’m still getting wrong. My reviews normally settle back to over 85% after a few days.

I’m not sure how relevant this is as I’m still quite new, I may have to change my methods as the workload ramps up.

I think this is a really important point; it works for me too. If you’re not already engaging with written content outside of Wanikani, by level 22 you should be able to start.

2 Likes

It seems that you have a lot of Apprentice (270) and Guru (974) items… Maybe it is a bit too much… A lot of people try to keep their number of Apprentice items below 200 (for my part, I even keep them under 100), to not be overwhelmed by reviews.
And you can also try to reduce a bit your guru items… Finding the right pace is probably the best way to get a better accurancy.

4 Likes

That’s right where I’m at, where would you recommend finding written content appropriate for that level?

I don’t see nothing relevant with that, and today I get more apprentice item since learned new vocab and also I can’t (or maybe yes) choose wich items I would like to appear in my reviews to move it to other rank.

I think what they’re suggesting is that you slow down with lessons for a little until you reduce the number of apprentice and guru items to a more manageable amount. That will also allow you to focus on the vocab you’ve already done lessons for in the past, and give you more time to learn them. As that vocabulary begins to stick and you level them up more and more, the apprentice and guru counts will go down. Then you can ramp up the daily lessons as needed.

It’s solid advice. I do this sometimes too, if I find myself getting overwhelmed and not remembering things, or if I know I’m going through a busy stretch and won’t have as much time to dedicate to studying. Give it a try, it might help :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This explanation make more sense indeed, maybe could do it but currently I can’t.

Yes, that’s what I meant. Sorry, I didn’t go enough into details.

2 Likes

I think it will depend more on your grammar level, but here are a few suggestions:

• NHK easy news - will expose you to a wide variety of kanji in context; written with native elementary schoolers/junior high schoolers and foreign adults in mind.
  • Satori Reader - has the option to show only kanji that you’ve learned in Wanikani; grammar level varies by article/series.
  • Graded readers, either online or in print - this thread has a list of the various series available. Most use kanji with furigana; grammar level increases starting from the most basic.
  • Japanese book clubs here on the forum - a variety of levels, and other people are reading along to help answer questions.
5 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Mostly i know in advance that the answer is not correct if the word sounds weird and at not all japanese

1 Like

My % correct on large chunk reviews often dips into the 80s and occasionally 70s, and I have a decent number of leeches. But I know exactly why they exist–I often don’t have time to study them much outside of my normal WK reviews. I try to put WK vocabulary into my big Anki Japanese vocab deck when I can, and reviewing it there quickly solves my troubles in remembering it for the most part, but there’s just so much stuff to add in between WK vocab, vocab I come across in my JLPT studies, and words I come across in life here in Japan that I’m always way behind. It’s frustrating!

I’m typically in the 70-80% range although I would prefer to get 80% or higher. I tend to get a lot of them mixed up… especially transitive and intransitive verbs… I also have N3 level grammar (around that) too so i shouldn’t have that issue. XD

1 Like

I’ll repeat @rfindley’s advice that has helped me a ton:

Every time you see the radical/kanji/vocab item, whether it be in a lesson or a review (and BOTH sides of the review), say the meaning and reading.

I usually try to say the reading first and then the meaning, but occasionally I do it backwards.

感謝
かんしゃ
gratitude

I do this while staring at it. So whether it’s the meaning or reading question that pops up, I repeat both.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Transitive and intransitive verbs are my absolute nemeses not only to distinguish them but also when it comes to using them

The way I see it if you get above 0% then you’re making progress even if it is slow going. 50% means you’re retaining half of what you learned so my personal aim is to always get above 50% as it means I’m making good progress.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.