It's been painful, what's death like?

先輩: Can you pinpoint why? It seems that Death has less Kanji and also less Vocabulary than the Painful. Are there lots of crazy readings? I’m trying to mentally prepare myself for Death. Any suggestions that might cross your mind would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage judge judge judge sue sue boundary boundary boundary boundary business climate limit limit limit limit limit damage damage damage

hope that helps :D

16 Likes

Oh god the similar but slightly different stuff is already annoying as sin. Your 予報’s and 予告’s and 感想 思想 回想、情報 and 報告, along with stretches for some kind of tangible mnemonic for words like 感心。Not keen. Still without synonyms and small distinctions language would be a boring paint-by-numbers affair.

2 Likes

it gets really bad. my latest pair at 28 was pure/pure
清潔 is hygiene by the way, hehe. but this definition isn’t even listed.

It gets far worse, relentless, unending, constant …

There are a couple of surprisingly easy levels in the 50s and that’s the only respite. I have no new lessons but am finding it as tough as ever. I’m done at end of Jan '19 regardless of where I get to.

4 Likes

This is an amazing description. :joy::sob::sob::sob:

I hate the 20s :tired_face: Plus I was working at, for what I consider, a fast pace, so now it’s come to bite me in the butt with a lot of items to burn every day.

3 Likes

yea i hate the 20s, too. such a PITA. i didn’t even mention health/health yet, lol. but there’s an incredible amount of very common kanji between 15 and 30. i got an enormous boost from 20 to 28 alone, suddenly tons of context became available.
that’s gonna continue through the 30s. at 40, we should be able to read most stuff :slight_smile:
after that, it diminishes somewhat, but if you make it to 44, the end is in reach. that’s when the 3 day levels start.

4 Likes

Yes I am gradually realizing that I am able to read much more than in the previous levels, so everything you mentioned is light at the end of the tunnel :laughing:

2 Likes

Is that why you’re hanging upside-down? :joy:

2 Likes

Going against the grain here and claiming that 20 are not too bad, especially considering that there aren’t 15 different versions of preparation (or my arch nemesis expectation, anticipation). Most kanji compounds make more sense, I think level 24 was especially easy. And the 20 will add so much to your vocabulary that you can actually start reading. I am reading one piece, it’s slow but it is much more possible that 15 or something.

Also, because stuff is now possible to be read, words get burned into your head. Stuff like 準備 would have killed me prior to reading because of all the different preparations and stuff but once I read that Buggy tells his pirates to 準備 his cannon, I was like ooooohhhhhh. Just like the little robots in My Hero Akademia that prepare the courses and scream 用意.

1 Like

Exposure to native stuff helps with a lot of this, though. The examples you posted, for example, actually don’t feel like synonyms to me because of the very different contexts they’re used in - but WK won’t tell you that. That said I did just get through typing “complete” three times for 完了 完全 and 完成, and even though I know they mean different things, it’s still a little tiring.

BUT a lot of stuff is straight up synonyms and you just gotta shrug your shoulders ʅ(◞‿◟)ʃ

2 Likes

Yeah none of those are synonymous really, I had a brain fart and couldn’t think of a good example despite the fact that I was complaining about the abundance of examples hehe. The “completion/complete” words are a great example though. The preparation words like 支度, 用意 etc, or 期待、予想、先回り might have been better examples.

I will try to explain the best I can :smiley:
There’s a lot of similar and more complicated kanji for one. And because there’s more vocab it’s harder for me because vocab is harder to learn than kanji.
As OmukaiAndi pointed out, there’s alot about a million words that have the same definition
Like:
境界、境、区域、限界 all mean boundary
There’s better examples I think but my mind is at a blank at the moment :sweat_smile:
My best suggestion is to just make sure you’re paying attention to radicals and whatnot (Because of similar kanji) and not to rush lessons. Good luck!

3 Likes

完了 means finished, 完全 means completely (filling all requiremenrs) and is used as an adjective or adverb (so you can say 完全に完了), 完成 refers to doing something to completion - less about something being over (完了) and more it being completed, often physically.

期待 expects good things - it expresses hope. 予想 is just a prediction/guess based on your data. I don’t have a ton of experience wirh 先回り but it’s “anticipation’ seems to be more about doing something before someone else, which is a use of the English word ‘anticipate’ that we don’t actually use super often.

用意 支度 are just identical though >_>

5 Likes

I think picking up the subtleties in nuance or usage will be better left for when I’m reading material and seeing stuff in context than in a cold SRS mass-review environment; so for now I’ll just put up with them looking synonymous and gradually see how they’re used when I see them used haha. I can’t memorise stuff like this while learning kanji because it’s too much at once and will be more logical in the context of actual language and speech. I hope lol

1 Like

Before reaching it, I used to think level 40 would be a good cutoff point to slow down, because I thought I would be able to read much things, but now I dunno… Even in higher level there is a lot of super common kanji. I was so surprised in level 51 to learn the 呂 of 風呂(ふろ), and the 玄 of 玄関(げんかん)…

2 Likes

as some one who is about to make level 20 tonight I am scared XD. でも頑張ります

4 Likes

“Painful” and “Death” haha, this is encouraging! I’m happy that I can read hiragana now at a slow speed can’t imagine how level 20 must be like.

1 Like

I didn’t feel like it was much different? Your workload is steady once you start burning things assuming you keep the same pace.

yeah there’s always a few that really won’t need a lesson. ふろ would be one of them :slight_smile:
no idea why it comes so late.