Is this technically cheating or am i ok

so on tsukurame it allows me to write the on’yomi when i was suppose to write the kun’yomi and vice versa n lets me try again without counting as a wrong answer, but on the website it says im wrong when im suppose to write the kun’yomi and i write the on’yomi. is this tsukurame version cheating or am i ok.

also wanikani allows a retry when i guess the kanji as a vocab but not vice versa like tsukurame

2 Likes

It’s a function of Tsurukame although there is an argument to be made that WK could be more permissive in this regard.

In general, functions like that and the undo ability can be used well but you have to be careful not to abuse them. Just remember that the point of WK is to learn Kanji and not just to level up.

2 Likes

do you think me learning this way could possibly screw me up in the future as im now studying more on the grammar etc. when im attempting to form sentences

What? Are you talking about for vocab (not kanji)? If Tsurukame allows that kind of retry for vocab it’s just wrong.

7 Likes

Try it the hard way first for a few levels. Then you can better gauge whether it will be helpful to you or not.

1 Like

Yeah, are we sure this isn’t just the typical kanji/vocab thing? Just that someone attributed it to the apps behavior instead?

3 Likes

No, not like that. It allows all readings of a Kanji, so it will shake on secondary readings where WK is looking for a primary or most common reading.

For example, on 巧 it will shake on うま and たく and accept こう.

How is that different from the WaniKani website?

On the site, it just marks it incorrect without the shaking/warning.

1 Like

For example, on 上 kanji review, WK will shake on うえ but will mark it wrong if you put のぼ.

Tsurukame will shake on any of the readings listed that’s not the one WK expects (in bold):

But you do have to turn on the option to show all readings for the Kanji.

I just tried 小 on the WaniKani vanilla site and it shook for ちい, こ, and お, all of the available kun readings, as I expected it to. Is this not what you were saying only Tsurukame does? Are verbs different or something? Hard for me to find a verb kanji to check.

I tried あ for 中 and thought it confirmed what you were saying, only to discover WK doesn’t have the あ reading for it listed at all, lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think this is the difference. The list of readings on Tsukurame is much longer for many of the items and includes lesser known readings. I don’t know what corpus they’re pulling from, although it might be the same one Jisho uses.

WK has のぼ listed for 上 though… I would expect it to shake.

Aye, probably a bad example on my part. It’s hard to test right now since I don’t have any reviews for an hour or so.

Also, it’s a fair point that I could be wrong about the exact mechanism. I’ve been doing Tsurukame almost exclusively for a while now.

But the point is you’re saying Tsurukame lists more readings and then allows them to be treated the way they would if they were legitimately on the WK site, not that WK limits your shaking answers to only some of the ones they list like it sounded you were saying.

Obviously that’s not cheating, but you might be in for a surprise if something you thought was listed actually isn’t and you aren’t on Tsurukame. But honestly, the readings WK doesn’t have at this point are pretty rare usually, often non-jouyou, and I wouldn’t expect most people to even try them most of the time.

2 Likes

The reason for this is that a kanji can have multiple readings, so when WK asks for the kanji reading (which is typically the on’yomi reading), it isn’t wrong to give the kun’yomi reading, but the screen will shake to let you know that’s not the reading WK wants. However, a vocabulary word has a specific reading (typically the kun’yomi reading), so even if the vocab is a single kanji, it isn’t correct to type any reading of the kanji you can remember. As an example, 波 (wave): the vocab is なみ, the word for wave, while the kanji itself is は. It wouldn’t correct to write は if they’re asking you the vocabulary of the word ‘wave’.

1 Like

I can confirm that Tsurukame does not fail vocab when other kanji reading is entered - it shakes and allows to enter diff reading. My example that I asked on main thread (not answered so far):

5 Likes

Oh, well, I would call that cheating, yeah. Personally.

9 Likes

I would have to agree with Leebo that getting retries on vocabulary might make everything significantly easier. One of the major difficulties about vocab readings is the question of which reading to use, which stops being an issue if you can just try them all.

3 Likes

Agree. So far I see that Tsurukame allows two things, above mentioned vocab shake and incorrect okurigana shake, which are fatal mistakes in vanilla experience. Both are impossible to turn off as far as I see. Sad, since it’s a nice app.

3 Likes