Is this technically cheating or am i ok

In all seriousness its about learning and not how fast you level. My own personal opinion is to let your ego go.

Ah, my mistake, I didn’t know it actually did that. It’s never actually happened for me on vocab.

Have you tried tuning off the cheating toggle on Tsurukame?

1 Like

On Flaming Durtles (my app of choice), it doesn’t count the answer as wrong, but it doesn’t accept it as the correct answer either. It simply vibrates and asks me to retry.

This is the best solution I think, occasionally I just look at the kanji and don’t look whether it’s asking for the kanji reading or the vocabulary reading. Therefore, this really helps me stop myself from screwing up. I simply recheck which it is asking for and put in the correct one.

When you merely weren’t paying attention, there’s always the undo button on the apps, right? If it always handles the “other” reading on single kanji vocab this way then you never actually have to learn it because either way it will move up as long as you know both readings. You don’t have to be able to tell the right one on the first try.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t have access to that button for some reason. (Can you tell me how to enable it?) Also, I don’t think it is affecting my learning; I only come across this every 100 or so answers. And it only works for vocabulary that is composed of a single kanji and still uses the On’ reading. I.e. irregular kanji.

Basically, I cannot do what you’re suggesting such as just giving all possible readings and hoping it accepts one. Nine out ten times it will count as a wrong answer; it’s just that when it does happen, I usually know the correct reading and haven’t been paying attention.

I don’t use that app, but I was under the impression that basically all the apps created relatively recently have basic QoL additions, and undo is usually one of them. It might be in the settings somewhere, unless someone can confirm that Flaming Durtles doesn’t have it.

Well, it’s still plenty of vocab in the early levels where you answer with the on’yomi for single-kanji vocab… 円, 本, 天, 点, 王, 文, 年, 字, 号, 図, 金, 肉, the number kanji

But my opinion is just that, an opinion of mine.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard others who have used Flaming Durtles say that there is an undo button. Nevertheless, I’ve looked multiple on the screen and advanced settings and yet it still eludes me; perhaps I’m just being a bit thick.

Yes, that behavior is with “no cheating” mode.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.