Is there a specific name for this type of music?

What I mean, is the over-the-top expressiveness on the last word of a line/sentence.
If not, do you know any other songs that work like this?

1 Like

Innit just a sort of rap? Dunno if there’s a more specific genre.

The Lucky Star OP is kinda similar:

2 Likes

It’s the the song and the singer rather than being some particular type of music.

Tori Amos used to do it in some of her songs where she. Would. Very. Clearly. Enunciate. The. Words.

2 Likes

Yeah. Good callm I would add Kate Bush and Björk. Of course, the music is completely different that this. But since there is not such a genre, you will have to work through single songs
and see what suits your special taste. Maybe try Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights for starters…?

1 Like

leather!

but other than that… I don’t quite get the comparison here?

1 Like

No comparison intended I was merely commenting that I don’t think that the style of singing doesn’t belong to a single genre of music. Instead I think it’s just a stylistic choice of the singer or just because that particular composition requires the punchy ending of the singing phrases.

It reminds me of some of Ai Otsuka’s earlier stuff though, particularly さくらんぼ and 桃の花びら.

3 Likes

phhheeeew…

1 Like

Well, maybe something like Ireland or 500 Miles…

2 Likes

Hhm, this seems similar to me

3 Likes

Woah, funky beat.

Really gets the blood pumping.

1 Like

Not a genre but sounds like a festive song. The type that you’ll sing while carrying a palanquin during the Obon festival.

I do have a festive yet very aggressively Japanese earworm:

Just like what the others said, it’s not a genre and more like a stylistic choice. An example of one is with FFX’s Suteki da Ne:

You’ll notice that instead of merely singing the word kaze, she sang it as ka-a-ze.

Then there is an Okinawan style of singing:

If you want to delve into traditional styled Japanese music rabbit hole search for “Enka” on Youtube.

2 Likes