Is there a peak hellish level after which it gets easier again?

My recommendation – and this is just me – is to do reviews in manageable chunks. Generally, no matter how many reviews I have in a day, I’ll do no more than 50 reviews at a time. I might do this once an hour, or it might be a few hours between sessions. But this keeps it both fun and manageable to me. If I try to push through a huge review set, I start becoming irritated, unfocused, and unmotivated – plus I usually listen to a nice song on repeat to give me a good rhythm, but I can only listen to the same song so many times. I recently took a break (60 days to finish a level), and even when I was at ~800 reviews with chunks of 20-50 being added hourly, I kept to my 50-reviews-at-a-time system, albeit I did sessions more frequently, until I got everything back to 0.

1 Like

Not sure about it getting easier, but my attitude towards reviews did change in the later levels when my focus started to shift more towards grammar and reading.

At the first 20 or 30 levels I was speeding through it and I felk like:

After level 45 or 50, even after getting 菅 wrong for the 10th time in a row I would be like:

ron

11 Likes

Think I was around level 13 when I took a break. Just did the same thing as you, big reset. At the time I was keeping my apprentice + guru count to about 300, but this time through I think I’ll set separate targets for apprentice and guru rather than a combined.

1 Like

I tend to go a bit slower than most people seem to. I try to do reviews 2 to 3 times a day. I also can’t seem to manage more than 20-30 reviews at a time before becoming overwhelmed, but I’m still keeping steady progress. Just learn new lessons at a rate that seems confortable to you and don’t burn yourself out.

2 Likes

I felt like things started getting easy after level 40. (Probably, coz the no. of similar kanji’s decrease after that)

Yep. Burn reviews are the hardest ones and for me end up dumping back into Guru at an alarming rate

1 Like

What I’ve found works nice for me is using reorder to knock out radicals and kanji as soon as I level up.
Then the rest of the week, I divide vocab into 20ish per day (or whatever I need to do to stay on track so that the day before I should level up I do the last bit) so I don’t have those “oh hey, I don’t have much to study today” days and then the next day I’m falling asleep doing reviews because I’ve been doing them for so long.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.