Is there a grammar resource like this? Extremely condensed, just to use as a reference for study elsewhere

I’m searching for a resource that:

• Deals with sentence structures, and isn’t too inflated with “grammar” points that are really just words (I understand that this is a spectrum, and what a learner can interpret as “just words” really depends on their native language(s), but some grammar lists can get very inflated by classifying word after word after word as a “grammar point”)
  • Roughly organized by level, doesn’t matter how this is classified, just so that more frequent things will generally be at the bottom and very infrequent things are generally separate
  • Extremely condensed notes, maybe even just strictly a list of points.

Essentially, I want something I can very efficiently skim over to guide my grammar study, and have some rough idea of how I’m progressing. In other words, I want to skim over things in the basic tier, check how many I recognize and understand, hone in on any I don’t, then move up to the next tier.

Just very boiled down and straightforward like:
: ”_x_より_y_のほうが_zです” → “y is more z than x”

I want to make sure that when I’m studying “grammar,” I’m not spending time on things that I would understand easily just by learning the words in the sentence (again, I realize this is subjective), and I’m prioritizing understanding the widest range of native content as soon as possible over speaking accurately, so getting to more advanced structures is a higher priority than nailing which counter to use when. So while Imabi will probably be my first stop for most points I want to dig into, there’s a lot of Imabi I’ll be hopscotching through for now. I think より is a good example here because the gloss for this type of sentence looks nothing like a natural translation, the closest you can get is maybe making the first item listed a separate sentence that trails off before the sentence that comes after より: “Dogs, ehh… rather, I like cats.” This means even though these are fairly basic words, and this is a pretty basic Japanese structure, you can’t really explain what より does here in English as a word.

1 Like

Tae Kim’s guide is fairly dense, although it tends to group grammar points by topic and not necessarily by how common they are: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/grammar_guide.pdf

Bunpro’s grammar is also freely accessible and has generally short explanations for every point organized by JLPT level: Grammar Points | Bunpro

There are definitely many entries in bunpro that are more vocab than grammar though IMO, especially as you get towards the higher levels.

I think I once looked for exactly the type of grammar you’re asking for because that’s also how I like to study and basically I didn’t find anything quite right. It’s either too much like an unstructured reference that doesn’t offer a reasonable progression, or it’s super didactic school workbooks à la Genki. I couldn’t find the perfect middle ground I was looking for.

Bunpro is super flexible though so in the end I stuck with that, you can just pick and chose what you want to learn.

3 Likes

This ?

https://jlptgrammarlist.neocities.org/

7 Likes

That’s a cool one, although like bunpro there are many “vocab” entries in there.

2 Likes

For more idiomatic uses, you could also buy Japanese-to-English database of Eijiro for 350 yen.

1 Like