Is it planned to make lvl 61-70?

Not if 99% of the users never finish the content that exists and are no longer using the program.

Would have to go look up their older responses from when Wanikani was newer, but I would pretty much assume outside of bug fixes, it’s finished.

1 Like

As I mentioned, they’ve said in the last few months that they have plans for the overhaul of radicals, as well as additional “name vocabulary”. In particular, there are actually some kanji in the system now that have no associated vocab, and these are are awaiting the name update.

But yeah, definitely no sign of 10 more levels.

Idk, I guess I just mean that… it could be five years from now, and I’m sure my subscription would lapse if I don’t ever buy lifetime by then, but I would resubscribe if I heard “we’ve decided to start working on / we’re part-way through with / we’ve added X new levels.” Wouldn’t even have to be 10, to me, but I’m sure they’d want to stick with the pattern and I imagine that’d be the easiest way to get the most Joyo and N1 kanji/vocab as possible…
Sorry I’m rambling, I’m very barely managing consciousness at the moment. Idk how I’m not making more typos, or maybe I am, my eyes are half closed, lol.

1 Like

It’s so interesting to watch you folks hypothesize :smiley:

To answer the main question - no plans to add levels 61-70. Though as people mentioned, we’re adding more content in the levels that exist.

For those who want more levels, please ask me again when you get to level 60, and we’ll see if you still feel the same way. <3

35 Likes

Haha, I shall see. I mean, I’m not sure I’ll ask, but I’ll take your challenge, and I shall reach level 60 in less than a year’s time! Mwahahaha (not sure why evil laugh, but hey…)

1 Like

@koichi Can you elaborate on what type of content will be added for existing levels? Any chance of getting recordings for some of the context sentences?

1 Like

Can you please add 蚕 for completeness’ sake? I just hit level 51, and knowing that little silkworm won’t be making an appearance seriously messes with me. I just want to be able to cross off every Kyouiku kanji!

4 Likes

@koichi I’m also quite curious on what content is due to be added

in terms of actually planned stuff, mostly just new words we think would be good, and names.

6 Likes

PLZ NO MOAR KANJIS PLZ KTHX AND I AM ONLY LEBER 51

Also: “Kanjis”

1 Like

Adding some really common proper names that have uncommon readings would be super helpful! That’s an exciting prospect.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to when you get a thousand new available lessons

3 Likes

Well, one word that’s definitely missing is 空手 or 空手道.
柔道 and 剣道 are both included, discrimination I say!

One thing I was wondering as an alternative was whether there would be the possibility of opening up Wanikani at level 60 to allow users to create their own levels based on unknown Kanji/vocab they encounter? It’s the only SRS system I’ve actually enjoyed and I think the timings are ideal, so it would be nice to continue using it in that way!

20 Likes

Something like that is on the docket, but I don’t think it’d have anything to do with level, necessarily. And also, not something that will be happening, or even started anytime soon. But yeah, giving people a little more option to add some of their own content, with a little restriction to prevent folks from going overboard on themselves, is something I want to do at some point. I don’t think it’ll be ready for you though :frowning:

8 Likes

This is good to know! I’ve had that in the back of my mind. I fully intend to reach level 60 and I feel that when I do, I’d make use of a tool to add my own words or additional kanji to learn via the WK system.

I can’t be bothered to figure out how to make my own decks in Anki. It seems way too involved.

I’m really looking forward to it!

あなたは神さまですか?!全てをありがとうございます。とても感謝します。亀燃やし人にばんざい!

I’ve been level 60 for a while now and I’d love to see 61-70!

2 Likes

I really want more levels. I would love to use this site/format through 2500+ kanji. I don’t even really care about radicals or mnemonics. Just getting more kanji and vocab added would be cool.

4 Likes