Is 流る a word, or should it be 流れる?

:+1: I find that songs are a great way to learn new words and grammar. You remember them a lot longer too.

2 Likes

Totally agreed. But it’s sometimes the case that lyrics use incorrect kanji or non-standard pronunciations. I think I saw a couple in the songs from ナイトメア.

Jisho is actually a really good resource and I oftentimes find there spellings SKK (the Kana/Kanji input engine plugin) wouldn’t pick up so I had to copy them over to my word lists. I think 入り口 is pretty notorious ^^".

Just discovered this site.
It’s kinda like a textual karaoke. :grinning: :+1:t3:
Only downside is that everything’s in romaji. :unamused:

1 Like

I don’t know much about those, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see any. Sometimes it’s not even a matter of ‘incorrect kanji’. Less common kanji are used just to make the song more uniique, or sometimes because they express a different nuance that works well in the song. It would be nice if you could provide some examples of weird kanji or readings though.

Jisho seems to accept 入り口 just fine right now though… I’m not sure I understand what you’re referring to, especially since I rarely use Jisho.

Hahaha. It’s probably meant for multiple languages, especially English, so that’s not surprising. I don’t know if it’s available in your country, but you can try seeing if Pokekara is available in the app store of whatever platform you use for your phone. It’s a Japanese karaoke app. Another option is searching YouTube for karaoke videos with the lyrics in Japanese. They’re fairly easy to find if a song is well known.

1 Like

Had to do some digging, but for instance one from 東京少年: 常識人(じょうしきじん) but pronounced モラリスト and 幻 (まぼろし) but pronounced ゆめ.

When you look at the entry for 入り口, there’s like a ton of different forms. I used to spell it 入口 and pronounce it はいりぐち, because it contrasted well with 出口, but yeah… Now いりぐち somehow feels better.

1 Like

These are called 義訓 and a pretty common device in Manga because it’s an easy rhetorical device. It either, as in the case of a.) Is used to give a definition to a Katakana word when the reader is likely to not know it. Or in the case of b.) Evoke a specific image or usage of the word, in addition to giving an extra layer of meaning. We can gather from that that it is no normal dream.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarifications.

Syphus has already covered this, but just to give you an idea of how normal this is, especially in the case of foreign words written in kana being assigned to kanji… You know the anime Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor? I’m not really sure why the anime flopped – I enjoyed it, but maybe it got too serious and draggy near the finale, seeing as that’s the bit I dread when I rewatch it, or maybe people felt there were too few arcs for 12 episodes – but the light novel is apparently pretty successful in Japan. Here’s the Japanese title: ロクでなし魔術講師と禁忌教典アカシックレコード. It’s literally written with those katakana on the cover, and this is a series that lots of people have purchased. It’s a matter of authors conveying meaning while still being able to call something what they want, or in the case of something like ゆめ, it’s about the dream being… illusory, fleeting, incredibly unreal etc. The meanings of two common words/kanji get mixed.

This is a result of verbs overlapping and 送り仮名 (okurigana – the kana that form a word together with a kanji) being written using inconsistent rules. I usually say いりぐち and write 入り口. I think いりぐち is more common than はいりぐち, and I definitely learnt いりぐち first: up to a few moments ago, I wasn’t sure if はいりぐち existed, even if it’s quite a logical pronunciation.

入る can be pronounced はいる and いる, and the two verbs overlap at the very least in the senses of ‘to enter’ and ‘to be put in’. For example, if you go to a ramen place and see 卵入り in the name of a dish, that means there’s ‘egg inside’, and you should say たまごいり. はいる is probably more common in daily life, but いる has its uses.

As for okurigana… I guess it depends on what conventions you’re following, but it’s not uncommon to drop them provided context makes things clear, especially in compounds. I mean, 入口 and 入り口 are equally clear above a door. When they’re needed for differentiating two different words, however, how they’re written tends to be taken a little more seriously. Otherwise, you can have, for example, both 現れる and 現われる, and pronounce both as あらわれる.

@Syphus @Jonapedia

Super big thanks for the clarifications! 勉強しました! :slight_smile:

I actually don’t know Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor, but now it makes a lot more sense to me! I think I should start reading more manga in Japanese to get a better feel of nuances like that.

Hmm yeah, I somehow feel たまごいり is more fitting here. Will remember this one!

Added to my word list! :smiley: I’m guessing this is kind of the antonym to 消える?

In fact it has so many of them that one of the biggest problems with using EDICT is ending up with words that no living Japanese person has ever heard of.

JMdict/EDICT is a Japanese-English dictionary, not English-Japanese. It’s not impossible to turn things around and use it like an English-Japanese dictionary because of the way the data is structured (unlike a printed dictionary), but it’s not what it’s intended for, so if the results suck, that’s on you.

Yup. There’s another kanji for it as well: 表れる. 表れる is used for when abstract things come to the surface, especially a manner of thinking or a feeling. 現れる is used for concrete things appearing or revealing themselves, and typically involves something you can actually see.

1 Like

Thank you for your unnecessary comment, but unless you have something to say about 流るる you can step off your soapbox.

Anyways, I remember now where I always see it:

みかの原わきて流るる泉川いつ見きとてか恋しかるらむ

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.