IPad or Android tablet?

I’m looking to get an IPad or tablet soon.  As far as Wanikani, Textfugu, and other Japanese resources (Anki decks being a big one) are concerned, is there any reason to favor one of these devices over the other?

TF crew likes idevices but it really depends on what you want out of it. Personally though I would advise the android since you don’t need to jailbreak it.

Wanikani mobile works great, so there is no real reason to not get Android (Unless you actually like apple stuff).

Having said that, it is user-made so maybe it will break someday and tofugu won’t do anything about it.

I had a iphone for three years but I got an android phone on Tuesday and would never go back. Also, the anki app is free on android, the android WK app(s) is (are) way better. 

Anki costs 22 euro on Ipad and is free for android…

I’ve never used whatever iOS apps we have available, but I know WK Mobile on Android is fantastic.

But as far as hardware goes: if you’re looking for a full-size tablet, the iPad is the only one that isn’t junk.

I have both of them, and after my personal opinion i would suggest android.

The Android version got lots more features and enables you to spend more time roaming around the application.

The Apple version is somewhat lacking in many of the aspects that the android version got it covered, there is not many features that enables you to look around and explore the different features and you get bored with the single page with a timer counting down.

Go for the Android one!

Daniel 

I agree with the Android supporters. I have both types of devices, and the android app and the fact that Anki is free is a significant benefit!

I have an iPad 3rd gen, now I’ll get a Xperia Z Ultra (it’s Android powered) to replace it. I do like my iPad, but it’s so limited. Got a Samsung Gataxy Tab 2 for my goddaughter, it can do so much more than my iPad. If you get an Android, check if a Google Play Edition is available in your country, GPE devices get updates directly from Google.

I’ve never owned any apple products, and I’m proud of it. My friends, for instance, do. They keep complaining about nothing being handy, many functions not working properly, and stuff breaking easily, etc… None of them have ever had an Android Tablet/Smartphone. I have an Tablet and where my friends can only open 7 internet tabs before the tablet starts spacing it out, I can open somewhere like 23 tabs before it starts lagging a bit.
Android is optimal for business as it’s got a hell of a lot of apps for… business related stuff of course. (Unlike some fruit company I know) Who would’ve guessed it. Most apps are updated in less than 6 hours after release, whereas my friends have to wait a week or 2.
In other words, fruits are bad for your health, eat nuts and bolts.

From the standpoint of obtaining reading material to practice with, is there a notable difference between the two?  From what (limited) searching I’ve done over the past few days, I’ve come across a few instances of some ebooks and services being available for the Ipad but not android (due either to region locking or maybe just publisher preference).  I’m unsure of how widespread this is.

It’s been suggested that I consider a kindle of some form or another (and getting a Japanese Amazon account linked to it).  As far as non amazon / ebook matters are concerned, how would this work out?  Would it still handle things like Anki or WaniKani?

If it affects anything, I’m not really planning on doing much else with the tablet than studying Japanese.

I have both, and ended up always using the Android tablet more.

It really depends on what ecosystem you’re already in. If you have an iPhone, you’ll likely use the iPad more. If you have an Android phone, an android tablet will work better with your data.

If you try to mix the two, you tend to get frustrated on trying to send things between the two.

The only device I would really have the tablet interact with would be my (Windows) PC.  I don’t do much of anything with my phone other than use it as a phone.

I’ll admit to not being the most tech savvy person around :confused:

I have an iPad 4 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and if you’re just using it for studying I would suggest an android device. They’re much cheaper and you could spend that extra money buying reading materials or other sources for your studies.  Not to mention you can get everything you want out of Google’s Nexus 7 (or 10 if you want to wait) without breaking the bank. 

However, if for whatever reason money is not even an issue, not being so tech savvy I would probably suggest an iPad of some sort as they’re what I think of as  “smart devices for dumb people” because their userface is so simple it’s pretty much plug and play. Not to mention people tend to favor iOS when making apps so your pool is a bit deeper when diving for apps and other things.  

I’m not saying android doesn’t have great japanese applications, and it does have the bonus of free anki vs. like $25 for the ipad one, but ios will have more apps. 

protospork said... I've never used whatever iOS apps we have available, but I know WK Mobile on Android is fantastic.

But as far as hardware goes: if you're looking for a full-size tablet, the iPad is the only one that isn't junk.
 I disagree, Nexus 10 blows the iPad out of the water. It's $200 cheaper, has a higher resolution screen and better pixel density, more RAM and a better processor. Since it's a Google device, it runs 100% stock vanilla android right out of the box and will receive major updates for years to come. On top of all this, the build quality is actually better in that the nexus 10 utilizes a steel frame, the backing is a texturized rubber that doesn't slide around like the iPads aluminum surface, and the speakers are actually front facing as opposed to the iPad's tiny rear firing drivers. The only reasons to buy an iPad are either that you're stubbornly technologically illiterate and need the OS to hold your hand, or you're HEAVILY invested in Apple's ecosystem.

(By the way, I wrote this on my nexus 10)

Nysis said... From the standpoint of obtaining reading material to practice with, is there a notable difference between the two?  From what (limited) searching I've done over the past few days, I've come across a few instances of some ebooks and services being available for the Ipad but not android (due either to region locking or maybe just publisher preference).  I'm unsure of how widespread this is.

It's been suggested that I consider a kindle of some form or another (and getting a Japanese Amazon account linked to it).  As far as non amazon / ebook matters are concerned, how would this work out?  Would it still handle things like Anki or WaniKani?

If it affects anything, I'm not really planning on doing much else with the tablet than studying Japanese.
While Google's book service does have some catching up to do compared to Apple's, there is nothing stopping you from acquiring ebook files (the app moon reader is compatible with all formats) using other methods or just putting PDFs on your device and using Adobe reader. Amazon has an application that let's you read books from your account on android devices as well. As far as region locks go, there are a handful of VPN apps for android (SurfEasy is my favorite, you get 600MB of free VPN data a month which is actually plenty) which allow you to get around any sort of region lock. Basically, anything you can read on your computer, you'll be able to read on an android device.

I don't think Anki has any kindle application but I could be wrong; in the same vein, I am 100% sure that there is no WK app for the kindle.

the Android Wanikani Mobile app (aka the best app ever) is the best app ever

It’s really going to be which one suits you. I have an iPad 4 and a Samsung Tab 10.1 and the Samsung has been in my drawer for the past few months, I just don’t enjoy Android.

Nysis said...It's been suggested that I consider a kindle of some form or another (and getting a Japanese Amazon account linked to it).  As far as non amazon / ebook matters are concerned, how would this work out?  Would it still handle things like Anki or WaniKani?
 Amazon has free Kindle programs for both iPad and Android (as well as Windows, Mac, and some sort of browser-based cloud thing) so that won't be an issue. Check your local Amazon before setting up a .jp account - I found a surprising number of kids ebooks, some of them very cheap.

For apps, these lists may be useful:
http://japanese.lingualift.com/blog/best-japanese-android-apps/
http://japanese.lingualift.com/blog/best-japanese-iphone-apps/
http://japanese.lingualift.com/blog/best-japanese-windows-phone-apps/

Also, sign up for dropbox.com, it's the  easiest way to transfer files between tablet and computer.  

Personally using a Surface pro as my current tablet, after used 3 android tablets I’m quite tired of them, they are all overall to slow for me, will never return to them in the end. Now sure with Surface pro I lack most apps but it’s just a desktop comptuer in the end, also super easy to emulate android apps that I do for a very few apps.

With that said there is quite a few good resources and applications for android but the overall applications for android tablets is far less behind that of a Ipad. I’m no Ipad fan but gotta give it to them, most of the better android applications is not really made for tablets in mind.