Introduction for business

I’m trying to figure out a business greeting I could use and wanted to get some feedback.

どうも。はじめまして。
株式会社 ブルスカイの
通信工学科の
アロと申します。
よろしくお願いいたします。

Does it sound natural? Is 通信工学科 the right way to say the Telecom Engineering Department? I guess I could just say エンジニリング?

Dunno if your company is actually called “Blue Sky”, but it’s ブルースカイ. And the 株式会社 comes after the company name, though it’s only 株式 if it meets the requirements under the Companies Act of Japan. Just 会社 would be fine. ブルースカイ会社.

部 rather than 科. The latter is for, like, a university department. エンジニリング does work too. Or just エンジニア (i.e. your position rather than your department).

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks! :slight_smile: It’s kind of hard to look this stuff up online.

Well, it could also be 課, that’s what’s used at the town hall where I live in Japan. So really it may depend? I don’t know enough to say which it should be or why, though. Just that they’re both options.

Maybe have someone with work experience in the Japanese business world check on this one. I’ve been told by a couple friends that most people don’t actualy use ども outside of super close friends, or sarcasm. I then turned around and heard it used at work, though in a slightly casual tone? Really what I’m saying is I’m not 100% clear on how ども works, and I tend to err on the side of not using something unless I am 100% (when in situations that it matters. Otherwise making mistakes is how I learn).

You can definitely add a どうぞ before よろしくお願いいたします if you want to up your politeness even more, though. This I’m certain of :joy:

I got most of this from the Sambonjuku Video:

But he says not to use どうぞ so now I’m totally confused. lol

1 Like

I’ll have to watch that later, but if he really says not to, then I find that strange. I’ve heard it used by Japanese in their own self-intros at my schools and my actual employers office when I was first meeting people/teachers have transferred.

Seems like there isn’t actually anyone who really knows Japanese, even Japanese people :joy:

The problem with relying too much on one source or video is that what’s considered “natural” for a 22 year-old male employee, fresh out of school and in his first job, is going to look pretty different for a 50-year old female executive. And as much as 自己紹介 can be quite formulaic, there’s plenty of room for people to inject their own personality.

I’d say, don’t stress too much about it! Just make sure to smile and bow a couple dozen times at the end.

1 Like

His main point seems to be that it’s the first thing foreigners are talk and whenever non-Japanese people are involved they let it slide or they use it because it’s the custom.

From the explanation, it seems like it sound kind of stilted?

Let me know what you think after watching. I’d honestly like to know your opinion on it.

And if you think about things natives say in English, there are plenty of “natural” phrases that other natives have strong opinions on. Something can be both natural and polarizing.

3 Likes

God yeah, like the simple “how are you doing?” Varies so much from area to area. I prefer to reply with “Fine thanks” and leave it at that but I know some people typically like to say “Fine thanks. How are you?” with the other person then also replying something along the lines of “Yeah good thanks”. I’ve had instances where they’re so used to the question being thrown back at them that even when I just say “Fine thanks” they then say “Yeah good” :rofl:.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.