Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

Can you guys guess what I’ll be nominating for next time? :laughing:

1 Like

This one’s difficult… :thinking:

Looking very much forward to コンビニ :slight_smile: hope I’ll be able to find it quickly in a book off or something come June. It’s relatively new, so there might not be that many used copies in a random store. Anyone successfully bought a used copy?

3 Likes

For the softback version, here are all the page breaks I found:

Pages

7 (start)
161 (end)

There are 27 in total, including the first and last pages of the book. I was able to find okay break points to run the book over either 11, 13 or 14 weeks. With any of these, the page ranges can still vary wildly, from 8-9 pages to 14-18 pages.

I did notice that the text (in the softback version at least) is fairly large. In a fully filled out column, there are only 37 characters, whereas Kino has 42 characters. It also only has 16 columns, whereas Kino has 17. For what it’s worth, the other book I bought (人類は衰退しました) has the same column and character count as Kino.

2 Likes

I did. There was a heap of used copies, actually. I think people bought it new, then immediately sold it as soon as they finished reading it.

2 Likes

I also bought a used copy. Hardcover, actually (since it ended up being cheaper than the paperback).

1 Like

@Naphthalene @Gyoshi thanks! No reason to stress then. Or, worse, pay the full price. :joy:

1 Like

Oh, interesting! Could you please check whether it differs from the paperback content-wise? (Due to the different size, the page count differs and it might be interesting to know whether there are more changes in the text…)

Here are the first three pages of the book, please shout if you’d like more :wink:

As daines already said, the line height is a little different compared to your e-book: they are one character less in the hardcover. The lines per page is also less, so overall more pages in the hardcover.
Characters per line: 39
Lines per page: 16
(So it seems to be in between the e-book you have and the paperback seanblue has, and closer to the paperback)

I looked through the sample pages you gave and the only difference in content I could see is the lack of furigana. The hardcover has no furigana for uncommon words, whereas the (e-book) paperback has furigana for 物色、掌、会釈. I did see later on that furigana is used for a person’s name, at least.

RIP my precious easy dictionary look-ups :sob:

2 Likes

So here’s my proposal for a schedule for コンビニ人間. My main goals were minimizing the number of weeks that ended somewhere other than a natural break and getting the page counts each week to be between 10 and 15 pages. I mostly met those goals, only requiring one awkward break and having two weeks at only 9 pages (but towards the beginning, so that could actually be a good thing).

The paperback version starts on page 7, and all page numbers/counts are based on that version.

Week # End Page Approx Number of Pages
Week 1 18 11
Week 2 27 9
Week 3 36 9
Week 4 49* 13
Week 5 62 13
Week 6 77 15
Week 7 89 12
Week 8 100 11
Week 9 111 11
Week 10 121 10
Week 11 134 13
Week 12 146 12
Week 13 161 15

*Not a real break point.

How does everyone feel about that schedule?

• Sounds good!
  • Mostly good (here’s some suggestions)
  • That’s terrible (here’s my counter-proposal)

0 voters

8 Likes

I’d been doing some numbers trying to come up with a consistent number of pages per week and it was impossible…
This is so much better than I’d managed :grimacing:

Well, if people agree with it I’ll try to make the home thread soon (this weekend?)

4 Likes

I just came here to say that I’m looking forward to コンビニ人間 since I already started reading it on my own at some point (just stopped for now since there are too many other things I started reading at the same time).

I’m currently feeling like I’m drowning in JLPT preparation a bit so I will secretly be happier if reading starts as late as possible. But since I‘m not 100% sure either way if I will be able to keep up with the book club I will not be voting in any polls so that I don’t influence the result and then end up not reading along.

2 Likes

Give the there has been some talk of delaying the start of コンビニ人間. Would it be a good idea to delay it until the weekend of the JLPT? So start on July 7th?

1 Like

Well, for me that would be perfect and something to look forward to in my „life after the JLPT“. But I really don’t want to influence that decision since I’m not sure how actively I could contribute.

2 Likes

I’m also taking the JLPT in July so am happy with starting it that weekend. It would still have us finishing earlier than Haruhi so won’t delay the next book.

2 Likes

I’m not taking the JLPT, but I would also be in favor of staggering them.

5 Likes

Seems like everyone likes the schedule. Maybe you should make a poll in the home thread about when to start. Haruhi is starting on June 22nd, so probably want to include options to start June 22nd, June 29th, and July 6th (because of the JLPT date). Maybe also ask if people want to start on a Saturday or another day? I don’t know if that really matters though.

3 Likes

The Home Thread for コンビニ人間 is finally here!

Please check out the poll on the third post to finally decide on the starting date

And if you see any mistakes do point them out so I can fix them as soon as possible.

Whew this was my first time making a thread, making a poll and making a Book Club thread, so intense.

7 Likes

It seems like my copy of コンビニ人間 and some other stuff arrived today. Since some other people occasionally have posted pictures of their new books, I shall do the same.

I have a bad habit of buying other random books I’ve seen people mention on the forums whenever I order a book for the book club, even if I already have some unread stuff

13 Likes

Re: Zero seems like a hassle to read. I just get the feeling that the author would use complex language for some reason (could be completely wrong obviously).

4 Likes

I am also planning to read Re zero but only when my japanese will get better. Like Seanblue said looks complicated

5 Likes