Insanity Training (Vocabulary) Learning consolidation method

Dear All,

This method involves very quickly reviewing words learned using modern technology. In short, you put all words into a text-to-speech system. In this method you do the same thing over and over, and cement learned words, going insane in the process.

I recommend using google Wave net or Word (it recently received an amazing update). Unfortunately there is no consumer version of wavenet please use it with caution.

Method:
Copy and paste burned words from WK stat: wkstats into a document.

Use the read aloud function of your preferred service.

Reasoning:
This method is specifically useful to strengthen listening ability and integrate learned words (burnt) into your active vocabulary. You can review 1000+ words in like 5 minutes if you like.

I’m interested to see how people fair with this method, let me know if it’s bad or good. What levels it feels useful for.

Issue:

• Computer miss-reading. Make sure you are advanced enough that you can recognize when the software makes a mistake, deleting or change stuff where appropriate.

Here is an example

not entirely sure i get it - do you just listen to the words or is there any sort of input from you?

2 Likes

If this works for you then more power to you. I would offer that listening to text to speech read words in a rote manner may not be the best way to learn how humans speak and use terms.

I would offer that if you have access to Japanese dramas or media (news, variety shows, etc.) listening to Japanese speakers talk back and forth/banter will likely help you catch Japanese / interact with people in spoken Japanese and get a sense for conversational rhythm in Japanese. Whether or not this is more or less useful than listening to text to speech depends 100% on your personal goals with learning Japanese in the first place.

7 Likes

This is where Forvo is your friend. Grab audio of words as spoken by native speakers.

If you put your list of words into a spreadsheet, starting in A1, then in B1 you can have:

=HYPERLINK("https://forvo.com/word/"&A1&"/#ja","Forvo")

Then copy that down the column, and you have links to quickly get to the Forvo page for each word.

With some computer knowledge, you can automate downloading audio with their API.

2 Likes

I really don’t trust Text-to-speech (TTS, speech synthesis, dictation), and afaik, I don’t see any TTS that reads Furigana (at least not by simple methods).

As far as vocabularies go, Yomichan can download vocabulary audios on Anki card creation.

WaniKani also made audio files public here – japanese-vocabulary-pronunciation-audio/lib/mp3 at master · tofugu/japanese-vocabulary-pronunciation-audio · GitHub. Otherwise, newer audio files are available via WaniKani API.

For sentences with audio files, perhaps immersionkit.com is the easiest resource with good audio files, although search engine isn’t exactly reliable.

About SRS, I tried editing this shared Anki deck – Japanese Core 2000 2k - Sorted w/ Audio - AnkiWeb, but the result isn’t exactly to my liking.

Edited screenshots

1 Like

I feel like I’d need to see this in action before I could say anything for sure. But my gut tells me this could inculcate a lot of bad habits and unnecessary frustration.

Japanese notoriously has a ton of homophones, even after pitch accent. If you’re just copy-pasting into a document, I think you’d end up memorizing irrelevant words relative to where they appear in the document rather than where you hear them.

I have thought long and hard about a “right” way to do listening practice. I do a lot of immersion practice and listening practice is indeed difficult. I do think an SRS around that could help. But I can’t say that I see how this strain of practice would result in gains.

Have you seen Suzuki-kun? Probably the most useful Japanese audio resource I’ve ever seen. Even my italki teacher didn’t know about it, but she learned that announcers and public speakers use it for elocution practice. I still don’t think this particular method of practice is the best use of OJAD, but I use OJAD every day and I credit it with a lot of my growth.

3 Likes

Hi All,

Instead of commenting without testing the method if you could actually try that would be great. Word recently updated it’s AI so if you have the newest version you should notice an improvement.

The association with word order entirely defeats the point. You are not going to get close to using this method effectively unless your are already familiar with the words.

I advise you only use this method with burned words. As a rapid fire way to review what you already know.

The rapid fast paced words is the closest I’ve gotten to actual Japanese conversation in terms of difficulty. And not 1 to 1 difficulty. Being sat next to two natives talking to each other requires insanely fast processing speeds and this is like that.

Strongly advise you avoid using the method here.

It’s designed for fast reviews of already learned items (burned). And for me, the TTS voice pulling me through them by the hand helps me to focus.

If about the Anki at the bottom, I tried and I can hand-write a whole sentence with strain, but it is easier for one vocabulary at a time.

All I can say is it is possible, and if sorted by WaniKani levels, it becomes humanly possible even with Kanji limitations.

Listening skill for a sentence is still a requirement, though.

Thinking about the method, wouldn’t it also enable me to write an imagined sentence (with mental voice)?

I don’t feel that Burn means much. Probably over a month (or a week) already breaks into interpretation rather than translation.

Though, I agree that the word also has to be learned some other ways; like when seeing the JP, what can I infer? One sentence doesn’t cut it.

If you were talking about me, I would take the advice, but well, with a grain of salt. Thank you anyway.

2 Likes

This seems backwards to me. The purpose of memorizing words is to understand them in sentences, and the point of listening is to comprehend spoken sentences, not words in isolation. Any listening or reading practice that incorporates sentences is going to be more efficient than whatever this appears to be. And the reasoning behind it is exactly opposite of your reasoning - that the association with word order (collocation) is what enables that efficiency. This is why numerous books have been published on sentence patterns and collocations. Because they have proven effective.

2 Likes

So why are you using wanikani? The words are never in context

The point of this method is to review words learned words. I said that the word order is not important, not that it is the focus.

Before commenting, try out the method for yourself. See if it works and get back to us.

Except for the self-study plugin set for JLPT and jouyou levels, I don’t use WK anymore, for that reason. It was a great tool to get my foot in the door, but I realized there were other tools that would better assist me. For those that continue to use it, I don’t attempt to dissuade them, but I have found greener pastures. I stay here for the community and the wealth of knowledge on the forums.

I suppose it would help if you clearly explained the purported benefits of this method. You’ve only given a rough outline of what it is and how to do it, and none of that has been backed up by research, personal notes, peer-reviewed data, comparisons with other methods, empirical date, or basically anything. All I have seen implied is that it helps you integrate words you already know into active vocabulary, whatever that means.

Integrate them into what? Sentences? Then study sentence patterns and simultaneously learn them alongside collocations.

2 Likes

Holy,

a bit elitist.

re-read my post and go away. I was asking for help to review the method. Not insults and self aggrandizing.

Eek, the lack of self-awareness is strong with this one.

1 Like

It’s a troll thread. I didn’t realize it at first. I actually thought this person was actually trying to share something and I was trying to understand it. Shame on me for taking the bait.

2 Likes

“This seems backwards to me.” - passive insult

“but I have found greener pastures” - self aggrandizing

“I suppose it would help if you clearly explained the purported benefits of this method. You’ve only given a rough outline of what it is and how to do it,” - did explain exactly how to do it

“personal notes, peer-reviewed data, comparisons with other methods, empirical date, or basically anything.” - really

Why would you come into a thread to comment on a learning methods you historically do not like. About reviewing burned items from wanikani of which you have none. And taking what was child like excitement at finding something interesting to try with new technology and berating it.

What the hell man.

I mean, if it works for you, then do it, and we’re happy for you. I don’t think you broke the internet or revolutionized language learning, but we’re always excited when people find a method that is individually useful for them, at least until the moment they discover or realize even better methods, which invariably occurs multiple times throughout the process.

1 Like

tbh, I don’t know a good way to break into actual listening (other than surviving classes, textbooks and exercises), but I particularly don’t like TTS, especially at sentence level.

I have been traumatized by hearing Wanikani context sentences read-aloud by computer. (No damage done though, just heard too many mistakes.)

Though, Prosody Suzuki-kun / OJAD is a particularly special case. It isn’t so bad, and also with visual aid.

Picking a word from context is a particularly big question. Perhaps reading, listening with sub, then listening well, can help.

1 Like

For sentences I use a combination of Anki, the add on language reactor, and netflix. I add sentences from various shows and go that way (this methods costs but I’m lazy). Listening I get from re-watching those shows, and conversations here in Japan. Listening is just pure exposure and pretty fun. Find a thing you like and listen, the satori app is also pretty good as it has a listening component.

My experience has been that as my words and grammar has improved I’ve been better able to comprehend. Any sentence will have grammar and words. Getting used to the active use of verbs conjugation is defiantly hard as all hell.

The word doc method is helping me to find vocab that I can’t instantly discern. I’m closing my eyes and it is alarming how few words I can discern, that I instantly know from looking at the kanji.

I would bet there are a bunch of methods with learning, I know you can make anki listening decks with the audio at the front.