Inconsistency with naming convention for kanji

It’s not the first time but I can’t recall this instant other radicals where wk does this. But the one in mention right now is guest and status.

Guest is composed of roof, winter, and mouth.

Status is composed of tree and kiss.

I just got guest wrong because I couldn’t make sense of winter and mouth. My complaint is:

Why the heck have 2 radicals in the exact position for 2 different kanji and not follow the same procedure? Either use the whole kiss radical for both or use 2 separate radicals for both.

Is there a reason for this? I get winter and kiss are two separate radicals but if they’re in the same position in other kanji don’t freaking call them one thing for one and a different thing for another one. God it’s so infuriating.

This is the kind of thing that makes me hate wk. Am I being unreasonable here? Please let me know if I am so that I can calm down because I’m super pissed at wk team right now for the inconsistency.

4 Likes

Other than the fact that WaniKani has a huge amount of content and sometimes things aren’t consistent? Also, what bothers one person isn’t necessarily going to bother other people, so emailing them to ask them directly is your best bet.

It’s possible it’s the result of things being moved around for other reasons and the discrepancy wasn’t caught.

There aren’t that many people who work on the content, and they mostly do it part-time, as far as I can tell. But they respond to feedback, so if something can be improved it’s likely they’d try to improve it.

6 Likes

Alright. I guess I’ll have to suck it up. It just makes me so upset because I’ve seen it happen with other kanji. I’ll just fix it myself by creating a whole new story using just the whole radical to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Leebo was attempting to suggest you should contact them and say something about it. :slightly_smiling_face:

E-mail hello@wanikani.com

1 Like

I usually do. I have reported a few bugs in the past and made suggestions. Bugs were always fixed but suggestions don’t pan out so I don’t bother anymore.

I’ll just deal with it!

One technical explanation is that 客 appears at level 9, while radical “kiss” is introduced at level 10, so they could not use this radical in the story for guest kanji yet. I’m sure later you will find more similar cases.

1 Like

Just gonna say I feel the same way about this :upside_down_face:

Worst they can say is no, and you’re no worse off than you started.

I guess they could ban you for asking, but I haven’t ever heard of that happening since that one time

1 Like