Immersion, i+1, and mining

Thank you for these recommendations. I think Shin Kanzen Master is a series I was looking at before and I am glad to know they are fairly dense books with a lot of example material. It seems that an N5 book does not exist (although that is not necessarily an issue). I think I will now need to decide on whether to take up the N4 and N3 books from Shin Kanzen Master for grammar, or the handbook @Jonapedia mentioned. Thank you again.

Thank you for taking the time to look for that, this looks great and something I would be very interested in. I’ll give this a read!

Tough choice. I have the N1 Shin Kanzen Master books, and I think they’re really great. I guess the challenge is that for the lower levels, only the grammatical explanations are in English, and perhaps the main points to look out for for each question type. That aside, everything else is in Japanese. (The N1 series is entirely in Japanese.) That’s tons of immersion, sure, but I’m not sure if it’s ideal for less advanced students. It’s really well structured though.

You might want to look at NHK for School as well then:

Sure, some of it is goofy and all, but I quite enjoyed seeing that something as important as the Japanese Constitution could be presented in relatively simple terms, along with what it does in the public sphere.

1 Like

I was having a very tough time deciding and in the end, as I am lucky enough to purchase both Shin Kanzen Master N3 and N4 as well as the handbook, that is what I have done. I really enjoy Japanese and studying it lately so I can envision getting a lot of mileage out them both. The latter perhaps more as a reference book with the Shin Kanzen Master books functioning as a formal teaching guide.

Thank you for this. I was aware of NHK News Web EASY but not of this site, strangely enough. It should be very useful!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.