I'm thinking about resetting to level one

Is this a ridiculous idea?

I have progressed to level seven, but ended up needing to lapse my subscription due to budgetary issues. It’s now been 45 days or so, and while I do the level 1, 2, and 3 reviews that slowly come in, I’m realized I don’t remember as much as I’d like to. Furthermore, I never look at the example sentences, and I don’t do a whole lot to see how radicals fit into kanji.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t reset to one?

3 Likes

7 isnt that far in, can reset or just fight through, the difference is small.

starting over though feels fresh, you can pay attention to the small things from the very beginning, that has it’s perks, too.

at max speed, 1 lvl takes about a week (after 3 or so, and before 50), so you’ll be back to 7 pretty quickly if you so choose.

3 Likes

I’d say try to push forward as you are now for 2-3 days. If it’s too difficult, you could reset after that. You could also take a look at all the kanji for each level from the dashboard. When you get to the level where there’s many kanji you don’t remember, just reset to that level instead of completely starting over.

2 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t, even if you’re only getting 30-50% accuracy on reviews of your backlog. For stuff you don’t know / remember you’re going to see it again either way. I don’t see any reason to discard whatever it is you have learned. Why throw away that progress?

4 Likes

Between level 1 and 6, there’s 919 items (radicals, kanji, and vocab). If you reset, you’ll have to do all of those again, multiple times (almost 4,000 reviews just to get them all to guru).

If you just keep at it, holding off on lessons while you get your reviews to a reasonable level, you’ll probably be able to catch up without doing nearly that many. Not only that, but you’ll also be in control of your schedule – instead of being limited by the pace of unlocking lessons, you can just resume whenever you feel ready.

7 Likes

It’s been almost two years since I put my account on vacation. Almost two years since I’ve even really thought about radicals and kanji and such. After so long, it made sense to me to reset my account, although I decided to reset to level 2 (something about the radical update and you would lose something if you reset to one? I’m not sure but I figure better safe than sorry). I was at level 10 at the time.

In the end, you have to make the best choice for you. If you weren’t paying attention to radicals before, you can always go over them now and see how they fit into the kanji you encounter from this point forward. You may not have read the example sentences before, but you can always make the decision to start reading them now. You don’t have to reset at all, but if you do, you don’t even have to reset to level 1. You can fall back to 6, or 5, or whatever feels most comfortable. Best of luck. No matter what choice you make, it’ll all come down to keeping it up and doing your best with what you have.

Why not just use the flaming durtles app and do a review session w/ what you want to go over. Get yourself up to speed and then continue your learning at lvl 7 when you feel ready, or can financially afford the subscription?

I’d say do not reset and just pummel through all your reviews until you’re clear. Read the stories for any you’re really struggling with and you’ll much sooner be caught up than if you reset.

My brother is around level 14 and had a lot of time off (more than 45 days) and he just kept going through reviews and is doing fine now.

Welcome back and good luck!

2 Likes

Resetting may not be necessary. I think the WaniKani system will take care of you without resetting. If there are things you don’t remember, then you’ll get them wrong in review, then WaniKani will make you review them again more frequently until you get them right. The system automatically adapts to which things you remember and which things you don’t, and I think you can trust that to get you back on track. You might be getting a lot of wrong answers for a while, but that’s totally okay.

Good luck! You can do it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.