Ignoring words to learn

Is there any way to just skip learning some words? I don’t need to learn the same counter 5 times with different numbers when there are no exceptions. Wanikani is good way to learn but it feels like it’s wasting my time sometimes making me learn the same words multiple times.

If it’s not an exception, you can just glance over the lesson and answer the reviews in 2 seconds. It doesn’t feel like a waste of time to me.

4 Likes

Nope. Seems tedious but it’ll help in the long run. Reinforcement and all that jazz. It’ll go away. There aren’t too many spots like the first few levels for that kind of thing as far as I’m aware.

4 Likes

You could have skipped making this topic by using the search bar :wink:

Skip vocab?

10 Likes

Come on. Be reasonable. This thread will pop up again and again until the end of time. Better to resign yourself to the fate of reanswering the same question over and over than expecting people to actually look for the answer. You’ll drive yourself crazy that way.

5 Likes

At last this way we get to dispense some sass.

5 Likes

A lot of people get annoyed by the counter vocabulary, so we get a lot of threads like this. The answer is always: don’t worry about it, very soon you will be inundated with so much vocab that they won’t even register as a fraction of a drop in the bucket. You’ll completely forget this concern in no time.

2 Likes

Right?

Not to mention, you actually need to to learn the special readings of some like with 二枚 vs 三杯 vs 一杯, only one actually uses the reading learned.

1 Like

I’d like to skip stupid stuff like “Calf” or “Postage Stamp”, unless I am missing some overall hidden narrative where those words will be useful. Or skipping radicals that are not part of the traditional radicals

If you don’t want to use the mnemonics that WK makes, do whatever you want. You can just use the override script or give them all the synonym “radical” or something.

They’re not meant to be the traditional radicals, but lots of people use the mnemonics, so they’re not an objectively “stupid” part of the system.

1 Like

I find it kind of funny that you think of those words as pointless to learn, I was learning words like “telephone card” and “cassette tape” in a memrise vocab course ages ago (which was based on the original version of Genki) without really questioning their value xD

Now what I did find questionable was “baseball”, but it turns out they mention that all the time in anime :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

The words mentioned they mentioned are not even intended to be learned as words, they just dislike that the radicals are for the mnemonic system rather than being the kangxi radicals (which have a different usage)

While I think something like Sumo is Japan’s national sport, Baseball is the most popular.

False, not sure why you are so aggro but take a step back, breathe, and read what I actually posted. I clearly stated used stupid to refer to learning words like calf or stamp. You simply carried over what i said about those words to the statement about the radicals. I simply want to skip useless words and radicals they don’t teach in Japan. It seems like WaniKani would introduce this feature since it is so requested by the public, that people complain that this thread pops up every so often.

Okay, so you had two complaints and not just one. I guess I couldn’t imagine someone thinking “stamp” is a stupid word to learn.

The complaint about radicals still seems to completely miss the point of their role on the site.

4 Likes

Japan doesn’t have a national sport by law I think. At least Sumo isn’t by law. Me and friends got this question wrong at a quiz night where the question was what is Japan’s national sport? lol

If you think you’re never going to use the word “postage stamp,” and you’re planning on ever spending any amount of time in Japan, I don’t know what to tell you.

If you’re not planning on ever spending any amount of time in Japan and you’re on a site dedicated to learning an aspect of the language, I feel like it’s kind of unreasonable to complain that its vocabulary is too robust, you know? Like, the site can’t know how it should be tailored for your specific, non-immersion Japanese needs. Especially when much of it is chosen for the way it reinforces the kanji readings, which you’re presumably here for.

(Also, even if you’re just planning on translating or interacting with media on your own, you’ll be shocked by how much “useless” vocabulary pops up; never hurts to know.)

6 Likes

hi @athideus, welcome to the wonderful hidden narrative department.

Words I thought I was unlikely to need to know or use, but which have subsequently showed up in WK bookclub books, include steamship, coward, captain, crybaby, station employee and tyre, to name just a few.

I’ve learned from experience to roll with what comes, and enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

I wonder where this ‘‘useless’’ conception comes from. Not from exposure I’m sure. After picking up the most basic book aimed at kids entering the school system , you are encountered with words substantially more obscure than those mentioned up to now .

6000 words are nothing in the grand scheme of things. You will surely need to acquire much more vocab for have an easy going experience while reading, Watching a show or just talking.

I’m sure there’re are some rare words hidden in the WK system , but as you go, you 'll find they are much less than you originally would think .:+1:

6 Likes

I also don’t understand why people find some of the vocabulary useless. If you really think this way, you’re going to learn the language on a very superficial level and will spend more time thinking what is useless and what its not.

You don’t have to be in Japan to be exposed to Japanese language. Do you not want to understand what you see in books, manga, anime, music, any kind of media?

None of the words you mentioned are useless. They can come up anywhere, depending on how much Japanese you consume.

1 Like