Ignoring words to learn

Seems like some people want to learn a language without actually learning it.

1 Like

Personally, I try to view most words as practice for the language, rather than just there to bolster my personal vocabulary.

I can see where you’re coming from on the 一台、十台, etc, but I agree with others here that the ease of these words will have them out of your reviews very quickly.

As for words like 切手: to me it’s not so much about whether or not I use stamps, but about how it teaches/reinforces certain linguistic characteristics early, with kanji I just learned. The inclusion of 手 (and other body parts) often makes a reading kun’yomi, as happens to 切, It also gets you used to remembering some jukugo words require things like っ, the small tsu.

And of course vocab drills in the readings of the kanji you learned. I can be iffy on a reading, buf if I know five words that use the same on’yomi, it cements it really well.

It’s not all about vocab, but also about exposure to the kanji uses, and getting you used to language habits of Japanese. It serves a purpose, and maybe you’ll feel less frustrated by certain words if you look at it that way. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ah, Millennials, they probably don’t even know what a postcard looks like! :rofl:

3 Likes

There are millenians in their late 20s and early 30s, though. Most of us probably do remember postcards. :'D It might be different for the generation that came after us, though. But it’s not like postcards don’t exist anymore or anything…

3 Likes

You are right, I got confused, I should have used “Generation Z”!

1 Like

There is no such “useless” things while learning. You need to be able to recognise a wide range of Kanji, not just the common one.

I wonder by what you mean, or classified, as common words / kanji ? define useless ?

It does not mean that you are not seeing nor using it now that you won;t be using it later on. Life has a habit to throw you out of your comfort zone. At least, you will be prepared.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.