I would like to hear stories from anyone living in japan or that used this website solely for their Japanese lessons

Exactly what the title says, I’d like to know if anyone, using this as their sole source of language learning is capable of holding a conversation entirely in japanese, and capable of living a life in japan, or whether I should use different sources for language lessons

Considering this site only teaches kanji and not grammar, conversational vocab, pronunciation, pitch accent, and so on, I think it’s unlikely that anyone could speak fluently using only wanikani.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend using WaniKani as your sole source of Japanese learning, nor would many people, I think. There is, in fact, an excellent thread called The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List! where you can find all the things that have been recommended for people to help reinforce their learning.

WaniKani is primarly for teaching the most common Kanji and Vocabularly, but won’t teach you a lick of grammar, so no, this can’t be your sole source for learning. It’s great at what it does though - which is provide a structured system for memorising 2000 Kanji and around 6000 vocab items :slight_smile:

5 Likes

WaniKani is a great resource for learning kanji and SOME vocabulary. But it won’t teach you grammar or any kana-only vocabulary.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you so much for all the replies so quickly. I very much appreciate it

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.