I started BunPro now that i am Level 60

I think I’ll stop doing lessons for now and try to cut my wk review pile some more
also do bunpro reviews obv.

2 Likes

I would like to use an App also to study grammar, is this working fot you? Is WK + BunPro + reading enough to learn the language?

I finished Genki I and I did some chapters of Genki II and now I stopped to get back to I and to review of the book, to retain more.
But after I finished Genki I, I found that the teaching method is really too much methodical in my opinion… you spend lots of time learning structure by memory.

This is how I learnt it so it’s definitely possible, but I’m going to stop short of saying it’s how you should learn it…just try things and go with what feels right.

I never learned grammar, I just picked it up along the way when reading stuff or watching anime. Not sure if this works for you. I started BunPro now because I’ll start learning Japanese at university in a month and i don’t want to look like an idiot knowing 2000 Kanji but not a single rule of grammar LMAO

4 Likes

i tried bunpro for a month it was quite nice, but i am only level 8 at wani kani and the double learning was tough. what level is recommended to reach in wani kani before starting bunpro?

idk man i am level 60 and just started so i cant really relate

Your Wanikani level won’t matter too much to learning grammar (the higher the level, the easier you will be able to read the occasional new kanji or vocabulary that the example sentences throw at you without analyzing the sentence or looking things up, but that’s about it). But the way you phrased your comment the problem seems to be more related to work load than anything else. I’d suggest, if you continue using bunpro, to just add one or a few grammar points whenever you have a day where your workload doesn’t feel too high, and then, whenever you notice that bunpro starts having too many reviews in a day, to simply abstain from adding any new grammar for a while. Learning a language is a marathon, not a sprint, so it’s okay to put things off.

If you feel that a second SRS in general is too overwhelming, you can try a traditional learning approach, following alongside a text book (Genki is a great one for beginners, though there are many classroom exercises), and there are several free grammar resources on the internet : Tae kim, wasabi, imabi, …

I’m personally of the opinion that it’s better to start sooner rather than later with grammar, it will allow you to pick up reading, speaking and listening a lot quicker. Though there are people who never formally learn grammar and pick everything up from context, this is a path that will (barring the rare gifted individual) take a LOT more exposure to reach the same level of understanding.

3 Likes

To add to what @anon3564849 said, I’d pick one of the two to prioritise, and take the other slowly. Bunpro has a much stepper workload than WK so slowly means 3 lessons every week or two (at least that was a manageable rate for me), more when things are otherwise quiet.

3 Likes

And I think that deserves a round of applause!

Seriously though, you’re in a much better place than not knowing either kanji or grammar. Also, you’ll be a pro at hiragana by now and so you won’t have that pain either at university.

I hope it all goes well!

1 Like

oh dear god this is uncomfortable to look at

5 Likes

Only insofar as I’ve decided for myself to finally get it right. Japanese, that is. But I have my own business and thus a job where I work full-time. Being independent and my own boss helps with getting away how I go about learning Japanese :wink:

1 Like

Heyo~

My first priority is Bunpro, and second being Wanikani.
I completed JLPT N4 Grammar just shy of two weeks ago, and simply keeping a study streak.

I’m taking a Japanese translation course in university and a German introductory class, so I don’t really have time to spend on Wanikani yet… but I’ll be back~

Personally, I started bunpro way back when but really only studied seriously this past August.
At the time of writing, I am level 11 on Wanikani, but I’ve racked up a good amount of XP, landing me at Level 45 in Bunpro.

I find that knowing the grammar makes it much easier for me to write and speak, as I can just look up the kanji whenever. Eventually, kanji will need to be learnt and burnt, but I’m finding that the N4 grammar I learned came in pretty useful because now I understand a heck ton more of what I’m reading in class. :wink: :smiley:

3 Likes

My goal is to never see that review picture on my own review queue. I think I would cry a little.

1 Like

it’s not that bad tbh, i have had over 1400 reviews too, and i have like 3 days i did 600 reviews on too.

1 Like

if you going on high pace and reach higher levels you’ll see it everyday

what kind of stuff do you do in your Japanese translation course? that sounds super interesting to me

1 Like

I started with Genki I and completed the first book before dive deep into WK.
Now I’m mostly doing WK because I’ve not that much time to study grammar.

My question is:
Is Bunpro enough alone? Or do I need to keep studying on Genki while doing Bunpro?

2 Likes

Ye, you should do both.
Use Genki for the initial lesson, and then bunpro to send it into the SRS.

1 Like

I second what @kurseddragon said. Even when you understand the grammar from Genki well, you will still find Bunpro useful not only for the SRS to help with memory, but also for Bunpro using some grammar points in ways not taught within the textbook

So It’s just for retention… I can’t learn directly from Bunpro.