I only feel pain

There’s quite a few people who say something along these lines but I feel it’s not so much ‘know what you’re doing’ as it is ‘have enough time to do wk’, because as long as you have 2-3 sessions totaling ~<1h every day you can finish the program in <2y, and that’s assuming you don’t speed through the fast levels.

Assuming that it’s more reasonable to have an average of 100 apprentices than a hard maximum there, and maybe a actual maximum of 130-150. (Especially if a lot of those apprentices are A4/3.)

(smoothened to 7d rolling avg).

6 Likes

embrace the pain
get a headache
wake up to 300 reviews
start them
die in the middle

7 Likes

I’m here to spread a word of caution:

The only thing you should care about is how consistent you are in using Wanikani, and not the leveling up speed. Focus on spending the same amount of effort daily instead of chasing arbitrary levels for bragging rights.

I’ve stubbornly kept a 8-9 days/level pace until I hit level 20, after which I burnt out. After 4 months of inactivity, I’ve picked WK again and I’m working on handling a 2300 review wall. Most of levels 14-20 I’ve forgotten almost entirely. Honestly, had I kept a more moderate pace I would’ve had an even higher level by now.

This japanese-learning journey is a marathon, not a sprint. Never forget that.

15 Likes

So true! I have no clue how to calm down and steady my pace. I’m at level 4 already, jumped a bit forward…Too excited for my studies lol

1 Like

Many people say it’s a marathon not a sprint and I completely agree with them.

However, there is nothing wrong in going at full-speed if you know your limit.

4 Likes

I think that’s what speed you should go. Problems appear when Usain Bolt tries to sprint a marathon. Like you say, know your limit.

1 Like

Not certain, but I think you need to log out and back into the forums for the level count to update here so maybe try that :slightly_smiling_face:

And this is me, roaming the forums and avoiding my pile of 140 lessons, 31 of which are kanji of my level, and staring into a future of not much room for my daily Crabigatorism activities…

2 Likes

it gets better? when? hit lvl 25 6 days ago and ive only passed one kanji cos i had to fight through a pile of 400 reviews :sob:

I’ve never had to do more than 150 reviews a day. Maybe 200. But more than that is only because I forgot to do my reviews at night or I piled on new lessons without first lowering my apprentice count. May I ask how many items are in apprentice now?

1 Like

I think we all eventually struggle with this :slight_smile:
The golden rules are:
Keep apprentice vocab around 100
Whenever below that, feel free to go through more lessons
The last few levels, my lessons always jump to around a 100, more even, but you’ll get used to it.
It’s alright, this is not a marathon and staying on a level longer is really only ever beneficial, so long as you keep chipping at it <3

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.