I have a 女 problem

Now that you’ve clicked on the obvious bait title, here’s my rant:

This isn’t a Wanikani issue so much as me beating myself up over stupid, and I mean stupid, mistakes.

Nothing like cruising through 100+ reviews with 100% accuracy until 女 shows up.

女王?王女?
Time to ruin that streak by running on autopilot

Hell, I’ve even written 王子 as おうじょ just to spite myself.

女子? Oh right, I just saw that one. Time for じょおう!

女の人? Oh yeah, that’s for sure おんなのこ

I don’t know why 女 specifically triggers this response, but its my number one stumbling block even though I know it 100% now.

Anyone have any other common stumbles on autopilot?

8 Likes

Well, I often keep confusing words where one kanji are the same and the other kanji have some same radicals, like 陽気 and 湯気
Today I confused 裏通り with 裏切り even though the second kanji are completely different – when I saw that it starts with 裏 and ends with り、my mind somehow assumed it’s 裏切り even though it was 裏通り :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

If you’re having 女 problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a 女 ain’t one.

11 Likes

I’ve just resigned myself to referring to a goddess as an おんなの神, cause めがみ (女神) makes no sense to me.

1 Like

… and I just read the 裏通り in your post as 裏切り lol so you’re definitely not alone with that :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

め is 女’s much less common second kun’yomi, and がみ is just 神’s regular reading with rendaku. What’s not to like? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Best way to deal with these is to acknowledge that you need to pay attention and purposefully slow down the next time you get it, even if it hurts. Eventually it will be alright.

女神 is a common enough word if you ever consume any fantasy.

4 Likes

Oh I was just being a bit dramatic :sweat_smile: I understand the literal composition, I meant more that I’m so programmed to use おんな (or じょ) so often that it also having a much less common め throws me off. But thank you for the breakdown :slightly_smiling_face: Ironically this back and forth has probably fixed it for me lol

1 Like

Seconding this (i.e., quoting it) cause it’s important.

A small part of the reason I was stuck on level 21 for so long was because I didn’t slow down when I made a mistake. My assumption was that I could just power through it and eventually get things right via repetition. I was misguided. When I finally did slow down and study my leeches, things improved substantially.

4 Likes

Just gonna mention this, last I remember, in terms of workloady lvl 21 is one of the worst. It also doesn’t help, that going at a faster pace, that is about when you start burns

Totally agree. Only just now remembering I had a similar stumbling block with ~つ and ~日 words.

For a little while I was getting scared of numbers until I had to manually hit the brakes on my brain.

Yes, me when I see a thread on the same topic being opened over and over again.

おんなのひと

I think some of these confusions will go away once you get better at kanji. To me they’re pretty glaring, for instance.

Yeah it’s frustrating that WK has no system to exclude leeches to focus on them at a later point when you feel like committing to it. Instead they just keep coming and coming and coming.

In this specific case here are my mnemonic:

王女: a princess is a royal family member first and a woman second, she feels the weight of the role bestowed upon her and has to adhere to the expectations of others strictly.

女王: a queen is a woman first, she has more control upon her life and gets to assert her personality and impose her will to others. She’s not as constrained by the protocol.

Also note that 王女 mirrors 王子.

I already knew this word from the 女神転生 (Megami Tensei) media franchise, best known for the Persona videogame series.

1 Like

And also the shape of め comes directly from 女, so it is unforgettable once you realize it.
( actually it is the only hiragana, with に.仁 and か.加, that I remember the kanji they come from)

7 Likes

It seems, I’ve got another leech – I keep confusing 紅葉 with 紅茶 – the first kanji is the same and the second starts with flowers radical. I have no problems distinguishing between 葉 and 茶 by themselves, but when 紅 enteres into play, somehow, my brain works on reflex “crimson, the next starts with flowers – must be 紅茶” :sweat_smile:

1 Like