I am afraid of myself

Me and my other two siblings both struggle with concentration, in fact, it’s why I am here now instead of working. One of them, my sister, has been diagnosed with ADHD.

As long as you have the desire to do something I believe you will pull through. If at any time you find the passion is lost, then the difficulty will increase. So don’t forget to reflect regularly on why you are doing this and the things that you get pleasure from.

The sister who was diagnosed, was tested because my parents would always use her disorder to excuse the fact she was misbehaving. There is truth in that, but not in its entirety.

If you have ever played Metal Gear Solid 1, you’ll know that Solid Snake has (spoilers) the weak genes while Liquid Snake has the strong genes and yet Solid Snake ends up defeating him. After I played that game I decided to not let myself be chained by fate, and you shouldn’t either. Playing this game was an important turning point in my life!

I’m not saying I have it as bad as you do, or even that I ever did, but my sister who was diagnosed has never progressed in her life at all and has used ADHD to excuse her of any wrongdoing that she has ever done. She wouldn’t be able to compose the post in writing as you have done above, nor be able to sit through Blade Runner because she would find it ‘boring’. But she can sit through something that she doesn’t find boring, and to bring this to a conclusion, that gives me confidence that you are going to be just fine.

7 Likes

I have ADD and also study. I think its important you set a routine. Try clearing your review que and do 10 lessons every morning while still in bed. It should take you about 20- 30 min.

Next during lunch take 15 and try to get through your reviews

And after dinner clear your reviews once more and go over any leeches (multiple fail items)

I suggest you get recheck script and enable it on your app if you use. Not to cheat but since its hard for us to focus we can make silly typos or make mistakes that are simply due to negligence rather than ignorance.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Welcome and huge congratulations on getting through the first levels!! That IS a big deal and you should be proud!!

I have ADHD too, and I started WK about a year ago. While I didn’t reach my goal of level 60 in a year, I have managed to be more consistent with WK than quite possibly any other thing I’ve ever done in my life. I installed the heatmap script so I can see which days I use WK, and from 2/22/20 (my start date) and 2/22/21, I only missed 23 days. (Okay, full disclosure, I took a planned break for the month of December, and I’m not counting that.) That’s a 93% hit rate.

My trick? Basically just everything @monkeyshine89 said above. Get an app like Tsurukame and link up your WK so you can do reviews on your phone. Use the Japanese T9-style keyboard, it’s SO much faster and easier and skipping the English letters will help your brain learn to think straight into Japanese instead of translating to and from English. Do a couple reviews while you’re in line at the grocery store or whatever.

Another thing that has been crucial for me, is making a conscious effort to think of WK as something fun that I’m doing as a hobby instead of an obligation. ADHD folk tend to suffer from executive dysfunction and stress exacerbates that- in layman terms, once we start to worry about something, we suddenly can’t seem to do the dang thing no matter how badly we want to. So if you catch yourself thinking “Ugh, I have to do my reviews, what a drag,” take a moment to challenge those thoughts and remind yourself that you enjoy learning Japanese. (Even if it doesn’t feel like it at the moment haha).

Anyway, welcome again and best of luck. You’re going to rock this. You’re already well on your way!

9 Likes

Two things:

1. I absolutely agree with the recommendation to go at your own pace. I do no more than 20 new lessons in a day, and there are plenty of days where I don’t do any, if I’m busy with other things, or not doing well on my recent reviews. I’ve tried doing more, and just wind up juggling more, not actually learning more.

2. On my two trips to Japan, my wife and I went from Narita to Tokyo. And each time, I allowed myself one mumbled, “The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel,” as I passed through Chiba. Sie sind nicht allein, Neuromancer darum zudenken. :slight_smile: (Hopefully, I’ve remembered enough of my high-school German to not embarrass myself. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I left wanikani for two years when I was at level 7 and now I’ve returned and I’m at level 13 and everything is going good again
What I’m trying to say is that it isn’t a failure if you need a break from wanikani, no matter how long it is
It’s valid, we all have our own circumstances and our own path and pace
I think I know what you feel because I’ve experienced this as well as an autistic person because I’m so bad at keeping up with things and with routines and my advice is the same that some people has already said, go at your own pace and don’t think about if you’re gonna drop wanikani or not, just try to do what you can and to enjoy it
You don’t have to go super fast, just go little by little and you’ll be fine, listen to yourself

2 Likes

🐌🏖 Team Snails on Vacation 🐌🏖 Team Snails will always be here if you need it!

2 Likes

And it will always be on vacation!

2 Likes

I have ADHD too, as well as OCD. I’ve messed up a lot of opportunities in my life by running my mouth and doing things I should’ve known better than to do. I know being afraid of myself.

Be patient with yourself, do your best, and just keep trying to know better and do better. It doesn’t get easier, but you get better at it.

6 Likes

You can do this.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes blade runner is one of not my most favourite movie of all time, I was 4-6 years old when I saw it running randomly on TV and I was like “Wow!!”

1 Like

Thank you :3

Thank you! And wow you’re level 31! I’d be crying going to that level, that means you can read almost half of all the most frequent kanji right? That’s so cool!!

1 Like

Thank you snails team, I’ll try to avoid you guys, not because I don’t like you but because I’ll try to get better. But I’ll treat you like a home, if things go rough I’ll always know where to go <3

2 Likes

No no the German is still good :slight_smile: you know all the words. Thank you very much. For now I’ve just done all the lessons always as soon as I see them.

I still haven’t reached a burnout stage and level 3 is taking much longer than the first two. So I’m good for now.

1 Like

You can do it!! I get ADD symptoms from having PTSD (I know, super specific lol) and I found these things in particular helped me a lot. Might not be relevant to you but I thought I’d throw them out there.

1. Go with the flow. I don’t save my reviews for a specific “ideal” time of day, I just do them whenever I feel inspired and stop when I start to feel tired, which might be one minute or 90 minutes.

2. If I want to study but I’m feeling a little overwhelmed and need a break, I do both together! So I’ll watch 10 minutes of a show, then do ten reviews/flashcards or one grammar point. Or I do one quest in a video game and then one of the above study activities. I find this super fun for some reason lol

3. Study while listening to anxiety relief bilateral music (headphones necessary or these don’t work). This REALLY helps me.

4. Pair studying with something else you like! I always drink tea at the same time, which I find incredibly relaxing. I also save my Youtube binge for when I’m working out, now I find exercise really enjoyable.

5. Remember this is your hobby, not your job, and your hobby should be enjoyable. I take things really seriously and found reminding myself of this helps let go and relax a bit.

Good luck!! I think you’ll find a way that works for you. Have fun!

4 Likes

Thanks :3 I appreciate it. It’s mostly my own irrational fear, I developed a fiery passion for going against that constant “ two weeks sensation” and then dropping it. It’s bothersome.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Speaking from experience, this is a great mindset to have. Although I love many things about Japanese, I attribute reaching my current level to a single series I fell in love with and wanted to read. Being passionate is a huge advantage and you should make use of it!

Don’t be afraid to move at your own pace as others said. As long as you keep coming back, you’ll reach your desired level sooner or later. Good luck on your journey!

Ah, this hit right in the 心. It sounds very relatable. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and I hope you succeed in your journey! Remember, no matter how little progress you make every day, it’s the progress which brings you a step closer to your goal.

頑張ってくださいね! :slight_smile:

i feel you buddy, i am a little bit like you. i may not have certified ADHD (and so i may not understand what it feels to be you) but i was and i still am not able to do something for a long period of time. this has been my worst problem at school, i always started the year with good grades and then after a couple of month i wasn’ t able to study anymore. i wish you the very best and i really hope that one day we both will achieve the so far (for now) fluency in this langugage. however i want to warn you (and i’m sorry if this might scare you) but the love for japanese won’t last forever, i mean that you will love this Language and this culture for the rest of your life but soon or later it won’t be enough anymore to keep you going. at this point you can only rely on self discipline or you may find another way to gain motivation, but motivation is a bit unreliable, i suggest you to not count on it too much. however you aren’t doing a race, you can go at your own pace and when you will feel down (because we all do and we all will at some point) just know that it’s ok, it’s normal to feel down, it’s just mean that you are a human being, and as a human being you have the power to get yourself up.

1 Like

I’m a college prof. The most important thing for learning Japanese—or any skill—is… give yourself permission to suck. When you have trouble, just tell yourself, “OK, that sucked, but I’m going to keep working anyway.” I know it’s counterintuitive, but being patient with yourself that way is how you keep your mind open enough to learn. Keep practicing, try not to beat yourself up, and you could easily make level 31 by the end of this year!

6 Likes