I’ve forgotten so much :<

So I’ve been doing WK for more than a year and a half now, but I stopped leveling up since last year’s October because this school year is really important for me and I just never managed to handle both WK and school so I just did reviews from time to time but then had to put it on vacation and its been like this for so long probably more than 5 months (on vacation mode) but I’ll be done with high school by next week so I’ll be back on WK again but I’ve forgotten a lot of things and when I go to reading some Japanese stuff I see myself struggling more than before, so my question here is :
How do I know the decent level to reset to?
And should I really do that or just review the kanji and vocab of the previous levels from time to time manually?
Or should I unburn them? since more than 60% of my stuff is burned
I just don’t know what to do ://

Sorry for this prolonged post but I’m just not very motivated since I feel a lot of my Japanese knowledge even grammar things have been fading away over this time and I need some help :confused:

Any opinion would help thx <3

4 Likes

I’m not sure what will be best for you, with regard to where you should reset to and whatnot.

But I wanted to say that just because you can’t answer correctly now doesn’t mean you are all the way back to before you reached that point in WK.

When you go through a second time, the ghosts of your kanji memories will spark things that make it easier to pick things up now. So don’t be too discouraged.

20 Likes

I really hope so, I’ll probably browse through the levels and see which level I spot the most kanji/vocab I’m not very familiar with, and reset to that.
Thank youu :smiley:

2 Likes

I stopped for one year before coming back to wanikani, also for school reasons. I reset to level 1, which was in the end not that good of an idea (was level 12) but I can guarantee you that the kanjis will come back to you, reading- and meaning-wise. I even remembered readings I used to struggle a lot with.
I’d say it’s probably just a matter of habit, you’ll see once you back into the habit how much you have retained from past studies, be they however long ago, it just takes some time to come back :blush:.

Also, if you want to see how well you remember things, you can use the self-study script to check where you would feel better resetting to.

1 Like

School sucks :confused:
Sounds amazing, I definitely had quite some readings I struggled with even before I stopped. Will check it out, I think I have it already lol
Thank uu ~

1 Like

I was in a very similar position to you, only with a boat load of work bearing down on me. I stayed in vacation mode for around the same amount of time and was about the same level. Coming back into it was anxiety inducing because nothing looked familiar anymore.
I did a full reset and have no regrets. The second time around has been a fun review so far. However, that isn’t to say it is the right move for you. Take a look back at some previous levels and reset a couple back.
The most important thing is that you are continuing your studies and not giving up completely! Best of luck!

3 Likes

Good to know there are many who did the same :,)
Yea I don’t see myself ready to redo all these levels but Yeah I’l propably go 3 or 4 levels back and unburn some items from older levels
Thankss

I’m in a similar position myself. I took a vacation back in December and then life happened and with school being so hectic along with other things I never managed to get back into the routine I had and when things finally settled down I came back to 2500 reviews.
I have thought about resetting but I’ve held off on doing that for a number of reasons. I have managed to work the reviews down to around 1000~ now. In the process of reviewing while it has been frustrating to see how much I’ve forgotten, the relearning process has been much simpler and faster than resetting would be. Most of the items haven’t been “forgotten” but are in a state of “it’s on the tip of my tongue” and “oh yeah! that’s what it was! I remember now!”. I think the unfamiliarity melts away and it all becomes familiar again once your brain is back to actively working with the material. So if you feel the need to reset by all means go ahead, but maybe push through it for a little bit longer? I don’t know about unburning items though. I think more exposure to seeing those words and kanji “out in the wild” would do you better than to add them back to the queue, but that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

Bit of a different perspective but I was busy with work since February and only focused on kanji short-term memorization so I can at least keep progressing levels. I did not retain all the kanji from previous levels and when I would actually have chances to do a real review for previously guru’s kanji it was really disheartening to get so many wrong–the idea of relearning so much. Honestly though I just sat down and rewrote close to 80 kanji a few times and kept them in my review rotation and eventually they stuck.

Overall, try to focus on relearning. That was my strategy (mostly because I detest the idea of wasting time and money for something I’ve already done before).

2 Likes

Here’s an idea: Read native material, and if you don’t know a word/kanji you already burned, resurrect it. Otherwise, I’d just plow through. But that’s just me, I really hate backtracking.

4 Likes

Hi! I just reset as well, from level 10. It has been about 10 months since I last used WK. I tried to do a few reviews and couldn’t remember anything. As disheartening as resetting felt, I think it was for the best. For me, anyway. WK had changed a bunch of the radicals right before I left that I had never bothered to relearn, so now I will get the full experience. Also I had used Heisig’s Remember the Kanji method before I came over to WK, and a lot of the radicals or kanji had different meanings, and I was struggling to learn the WK meanings after having the Heisig ones burned in my brain for months. For me, this is a clean slate to learn things the real WK way. Hang in there this time…I’ll be right there with you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you go through a second time, the ghosts of your kanji memories will spark things that make it easier to pick things up now. So don’t be too discouraged.

This is very true. I remembered even apprentice items after not seeing them for 2 years when I reseted. It just took a look of the reading-meaning, and it all came back to my mind.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.