Hunter × Hunter | Week 1 🐸

Below is my translation attempt for this week’s reading, I’m not very confident in all of it so I’ll appreciate any corrections/breakdowns of things I got wrong :upside_down_face:

Week 1 translation attempt. SPOILERS if you open this :)

I’ve probably also made some mistakes in my transcription :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

wow thats a lot !! impressive i wouldn’t be able to write it all out like that :0

that part on page 23 - 久々に 胸クソ悪い 殺しを やっちまった - i read it like “it’s been a long time since i’ve gotten that angry, i screwed up killing it.” やっちまう is like, to mess up or to do something you regret, finding that on jisho was helpful lol i had no idea what it meant :sweat_smile:

the part that confused me the most was the katakana - my katakana reading is waaaay below my hiragana - but there’s a note on the vocab sheet that helped out a lot :DD

2 Likes

I’m using it as practice with japanese IME’s, it’s slow going but I’m figuring stuff out:)

That makes sense, He got angry, and killed the foxbear mother when he should’t have, thanks for pointing that out!

I just had a katakana diagram up while reading:p mostly for シツンソ

1 Like

Thanks for translating :smile:

Some corrections

と呼ぶ generally speaking has the meaning of “calling X Y”

This one is correct, and you’re probably confused because of the old man’s way of speaking (he often leaves of the ai part of negatives, so that 上がらん is 上がらない), the sentence roughly translates to “even using 5 strong adult (men), it couldn’t be lifted (out)”

Here his speech pattern appears again, so that is actually a “doesn’t appear”. I translated it as “I thought there wouldn’t be someone who could catch fish (alternatively catch that thing) for 10 years”

It’s actually “do as you like”, and the うん on the next line is something like “alright!”

another version of the negative tense

わしら is another word for “us”, so “we don’t have enough power to stop him”

One thing, this kanji combo for 時季 is season

your guess is correct

これをを見たら if (they) see it
どんな呑気な動物も even a carefree animal
2秒後には after 2 seconds with は adding a sort of emphasis
隣山まで to the next mountain
逃げる runs away

this gives you “2 seconds after seeing it, even a carefree animal would run away to the next mountain”
〜ほどやばいもんだ “~, it’s that dangerous”

胸が悪い is a set phrase for being angry, with くそ replacing ga for a sort of “this freaking angry” feel I guess

6 Likes

My method for these is that シ if you connect the “dots”, you get the shape of a し and similarly for ツ. For ン and ソ, I don’t have a similar technique, I just memorised that the dot for そ goes straight down (I belive the tofugu mnemonic is a sewing needle with its string)

2 Likes

ah, I misread that even though I trascribed it correctly. I thought it was 好きにしない ^^

Thanks for this and all the other corrections! Super helpful:)

Amazing^^; It was that simple all along:p Thanks:)

2 Likes

I just memorised that

Tsu and So sounds go down in sound ツソ and their little dots point down the hill

Shi and the knights of N(i) go up in sound シン and their little dots point up the hill

3 Likes

OMG for the first time in a long time I feel like I’m in way, way, WAY over my head. I didn’t feel like a complete beginner until now - I mean, in the recent past I passed (and I felt they were easy) a couple of N5 practice tests, I am about to level up to WK level 10, finishing up Genki 1 grammar… so I perhaps got an inflated view of what I was really capable of, and so I grabbed this book and I can’t figure out that’s happening in literally the first page of text!! I mean each sentence is a struggle, even if I can understand some words I can’t make sense of what’s happening… so I wonder if it’s time to admit defeat and go back to my simple Tadoku graded readers… sigh…

2 Likes

I’m about the same as you. It’s not taking up much of my time trying to read it and while it’s not helping retain much in my opinion any practice and exposure is going to move your forward.

I try to do about an hour of Japanese a day plus an 80 min face to face lesson a week and the first 25 pages are deffo out of my depth and a little demoralising. But it is enjoyable treating it like a puzzle and I’ve reread it twice now and feel I’m making more sense each time.

Don’t be discouraged! This manga is indeed a hard one. I think you could try reading something else, like 夜カフェ or maybe Kiki? Yotsuba didn’t work for me because of all the slang, but you could try that one too. You can do dis >:0.

On the other note, I have finished the reading for the week. Had to skip some parts because I just didn’t get them at all… But the manga seems really interesting so far. The main character is so cute! Thank you everyone for posting your translations and explanations.

Fwiw, the first time you pick up anything that is intended for natives (so…not a test, not a textbook, not a graded reader, but an actual for-real book aimed at natives), it’s going to be a lot harder. Even folks who finish out textbooks will often pick up manga and find that they struggle to make out what’s going on. A big part of that is because manga is primarily dialogue – and languages get weird when spoken instead of written. The thing with manga, is that it often tries to capture speech styles, which means you get weird quirks and contractions, dropped particles left and right, varying levels of politeness, etc., etc. It’d be like if in English, I wrote a character with a “bumpkin” accent:

“‘ey, whatchu think y’all are doin’ ova dere? Donchu be causin’ me any hassle, ya hear?”

For a native English speaker, pretty easy to pick out what’s being said, but for somebody who was just learning the language? They might struggle.

Manga does this kind of thing with spoken Japanese regularly, so that adds to the difficulty, for sure. (I can’t speak as to whether that’s happening in this pick since I’m not reading along, but I would be surprised if it weren’t doing this)

I know that I definitely had a bit of a shock when I first picked up Takagi-san, but honestly, after pushing through, I learned a lot, and it’s only continued to pay dividends. While there is, of course, nothing wrong with dropping something that you find too frustrating at the time, I do recommend giving it a little longer. If it’s content you enjoy, pushing through to get the meaning (even though it is very slow and it’s a puzzle more than a book) is incredibly satisfying. But no joke, it really does start out rough, and no matter when you start, the first book will always be rough. I think it’s worth pushing through, though! You’ve got this!

10 Likes

If you don’t feel like the grammar or vocab is your main issue, then stick to it for a bit, reading each day if possible. You will notice, that after a bit, you will be able to understand stuff out of the blue

I still get periods, when I don’t read enough, or for a couple of days and I forget how to parse sentences

Might be unpopular opinion, but this seems easier to me than 夜カフェ, or even the previous pick, the prefectures’ stories (can’t talk for kiki). This is mainly because sentences are just straight up short for now compared to those.

1 Like

What does ほど (normally translated as extent or degree) and mean on page 23? It’s used like これを見たらどんなノン気な動物も2秒後にはとなり山まで逃げるほどヤバイもんだ does he mean “There is so much danger that if any nonchalant animal saw this, he would have gone all the way to the next mountain in two seconds?”

It’s bad to the extent, that if normally nonchalant animal would see it, it would run to the nearest mountain two seconds after

1 Like

What is this 無視すりゃ form? Is it kind of a slang which basically translates to the imperative form?

contraction of すれば

3 Likes

What is the little エ in “血は争えんねエ…” ? (page 15)
Also, is shortenning ない to ん a part of a dialect / slang / common thing in informal language?

1 Like

the little エ i read as just extending the ね sound, like its longer than normal/trails off

2 Likes

This has already been answered by marionjam, but I was also curious why ねぇ got rendered as ねェ. Somebody on HiNative answered that it’s an uncommon form seen in manga – maybe with a nuance of a disagreeable character saying it (but maybe just a stylistic thing here).

Unless it’s said using the father’s voice here, not the aunt’s (as if coming from the photo)?

「ねェ」はとても珍しいです。漫画や小説などで見かけたら、少し気持ち悪いキャラクターとして描かれているのかな、という印象を受けます。

About the ない to ん shortening, Tae Kim writes that it’s mostly used by older men, but it also seems to be a pretty common shortening for ichidan verbs in real life. I know manga characters have their own speech styles that you wouldn’t hear much in actual conversations – if it helps, the Japanese with Anime site seems to have a lot of other articles that may help answer other questions.

7 Likes