How's everyone like the new layout?

why wk just why… :face_vomiting: so many people already said the buttons are too big… before it was made live…there was time to make it better…and now I have to scroll to see the stuff I actually care about…and worse it broke my Ranga and Nero icons… sadness

sure hope it hasn’t broken my level up celebration script…almost at 1500 burned looking forward to that little motivator…will really be awful if that stops working too … despair!

5 Likes

After using it some more, the biggest frustration is that there’s no way to see current reviews and upcoming reviews at the same time.

Before, this was all clearly shown at the top of the page. But now I have to manually scroll back and forth across more than a full screen’s worth of filler just to be able to see my current and future review load.

3 Likes

Here’s my suggestion for the review forecast: let us see what type of reviews are approaching.

29 Likes

Yesss like Ultimate Timeline. I want to hover over and see what will come too. It broke ultimate timeline so maybe that script or a new one could make this change. That would be so nice.

3 Likes

Why would you want that? Seeing which specific items are coming up sounds like it would mess with the SRS to me, especially if it shows too much information or prompts you to look them up.

1 Like

I don’t use it to really look at the readings but for some reason I really like knowing which set of kanji or which set of radicals is coming. It’s weird I know but I like it haha

1 Like

Yep. Mine is different too.

6 Likes

Is someone abusing the reorder script? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Honestly, it kind of sucks. I prefered the ultimate timeline in that top slot. With its sliders and different viewing options, it was more useful than the new Review Forecast. This has fundamentally decontented my experience.

I like the illustrations on the two new buttons, but they’re so huge and dominating now, and it’s awkward how they return to the old design when I scroll down. If that design wasn’t good enough to keep, why have it all? The original iteration of those buttons when I started using Wanikani was medium, which was best, then they became tiny, and now they’re enormous. And why is lessons the same pink as kanji, while review is the radical blue? It implies a relationship between the two areas where there really is none.

Sorry to be so negative, but you asked.

8 Likes

Here’s mine in its mobile ridiculousness:

Honestly, this is why I don’t really use the site itself. The best thing they ever did with site layout was to make an API.

Honestly, I wish there was a setting/option to give the whole site a more “professional” theme & feel to it. I’m here to learn and reinforce a language; I don’t care at all for the art and color palette that looks like it belongs in a preschool.

I use @valeth’s [Userstyle] WaniKani Breeze Dark, but every time there’s a change to the site, someone has to go and patch the custom theme because WK doesn’t have its own dark (or even just neutral) theme available.

Edit: As of the time of this post, the author of this theme/style is updating and maintaining it :heart:

6 Likes

If not, try opening it in private mode. This will limit a few possibilities:

1. User scripts (I’ve heard these can cause style issues)
  2. Any cache content at all (like everything)

If this doesn’t work, then it may be a weird specific reason. If you’re on an older browser (IE), it may have style issues. If you have an antivirus, or an internet filter it may be blocking one or more of the style scripts. Try finding out and googling a solution.

No scripts, installed. I started yesterday and it was fine. I’ll check a private mode? But that seems weird. Did this update hit in the last 12 hours?

Yes. If not private mode, maybe try the other things I mentioned.

It’s…fine? I prefer the Ultimate Timeline, because in addition to when reviews are coming up, it shows which items are upcoming as well. The hover over a section ability (in the UT) is super underrated, as well as the scalable timeline.

Like others have said, the buttons are way too big. I didn’t mind them being in the top bar before. I’m also not sure the search bar does anything at the moment (it doesn’t search for anything for me at least).

The site is still easy to use and understand, so I don’t mind it. I’m hoping for some of those improvements though ^^^^

7 Likes

Private window didn’t help. I’m using Chrome, in the most updated form. The computer is a couple years old, but that shouldn’t be affecting how Chrome displays content. I’m stumped. So I guess I hate the update. Haha

I like the changing pictograms on the lessons/reviews buttons. Makes me want to make crabinator happy again

Can you hit F12 to open the console and see if there are any errors? Might need to refresh after opening the console to get all the information. If there are any errors, paste them here.

Yeah, there are a ton of errors.

Blockquote Default levels
(index):1 A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at http://stripe.com/ was set without the SameSite attribute. It has been blocked, as Chrome now only delivers cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with SameSite=None and Secure. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at Chrome Platform Status and Chrome Platform Status.

(index):1 A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at https://stripe.com/ was set without the SameSite attribute. It has been blocked, as Chrome now only delivers cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with SameSite=None and Secure. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at Chrome Platform Status and Chrome Platform Status.

(index):1 A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at https://m.stripe.com/ was set without the SameSite attribute. It has been blocked, as Chrome now only delivers cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with SameSite=None and Secure. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at Chrome Platform Status and Chrome Platform Status.

DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/include.preload.js.map

DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/include.postload.js.map

DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/include.preload.js.map

DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/include.postload.js.map

Not a fan. The buttons are so huge but the text is so small, I wish I could just replace the entire image with one big number saying the number of lessons/reviews. And there’s no longer any indicator as to when the next review is; I have to parse it out of the list on the right.

It feels like it’s much more cluttered but shows less information than it used to.

On that note, anyone working on a script to bring back the old dashboard yet? :wink:

9 Likes