How to Scroll on Anki Without the Mouse

Hi guys! Does anyone here know how I can scroll down on Anki without having to use the mouse? (needing to use the mouse AND keyboard is inefficient) :frowning:
Thanks if you can help

Canā€™t you just make the window large enough that you donā€™t need to scroll? Iā€™ve never, ever needed to scroll on the desktop version. (which Iā€™m assuming youā€™re using since you mentioned keyboard/mouse)

Canā€™t you use the arrow keys? Or PageDown/PageUp?

Unfortunately not :frowning:

In order to use the arrow keys, I have to click on the flashcard before it will let me do it, which sort of defeats the point of efficiency

Do you guys reccommend any Anki decks for beginners looking for foundational vocabulary?

Core 10k (Hinekedori):

How to Make Your Own Nice Flashcards:

1 Like

Are you sure this is foundational? I mean, Iā€™m not sure I know 10k words in English and my verbal is above the 99.9th percentile. Itā€™s all rather daunting.

Acknowledging that this request is quite off topic and perhaps should have been its own thread instead I still want to contribute.

If I remember correctly, Hinekidoris deck is segmented, so you can choose to just do the first 1000 words if you want to limit yourself.

If 1000 words also sounds to much for you right now, maybe something like this Tofugu article can get you started?

It all depends on what your goal is for learning Japanese. If you just want to know the odd word here and there, or if you want to be able to understand the language.

To paraphrase:
A ten thousand word journey starts with a single step. Then another. Then another. Then another. Continuation is key.

1 Like

Thank you so much :slight_smile: I am very much a believer in the 80/20 rule. And I assume the 10k deck includes a lot of phrases. (I havenā€™t looked yet because the file operations are lagging) Iā€™m considering posting a new thread.

You most likely do know more than 10000 words.

Britainā€™s Guardian newspaper, in 1986, estimated the size of the average personā€™s vocabulary as developing from roughly 300 words at two years old, through 5,000 words at five years old, to some 12,000 words at the age of 12

Source

Ah. Mine looks nothing like that.

Ohohoho. Thatā€™s very reassuring. Thanks!

[quote=ā€œgalg, post:8, topic:18431, full:trueā€]
Are you sure this is foundational? I mean, Iā€™m not sure I know 10k words in English and my verbal is above the 99.9th percentile. Itā€™s all rather daunting.
[/quote]You should not hijack someone elseā€™s thread with your own unrelated query.

Please go to the category ā€œResourcesā€ to see if there is a thread which already addresses your question. The forum has been around for a while. Most likely, your question has already been addressed.