How to remember vocab better?

I keep coming across master level vocab and keep forgetting them. I remember the Kanji and readings (most of the time) but I forget the meanings. Any advice to remember meanings better? By the way, it used to be the other way around in the earlier levels, so I guess this is better than forgetting the readings for now…

1 Like

Seeing or using vocabulary in context can really help cement the meaning. Are you doing any studying outside of WK? If you get basic grammar under your belt and begin reading, you’ll get to see tons of vocab in action and it’ll likely make it stick better.

5 Likes

Are you completely blank when the meaning comes up? Are you close but not getting the exact right answer? Are you struggling more with kunyomi or jukugo onyomi words?

1 Like

No, for instance I came across an early word I learned: 当たり, I knew it related to “correct” and knew the reading, but it turns out it meant “success.” I mainly struggle with kunyomi words, with junkugo I only really forget readings if they have atypical ones.

2 Likes

I’ve done some grammar, but really need to step it up. I will definitely start working on it more.

1 Like

Do you read the context sentences at all? Even if you’re just glancing at the translations I find it can help reinforce how the kanji are used in sentences.

2 Likes

I sometimes do, but I will start a lot more now. Thanks.

This is a normal part of learning a language. This is remedied by lots of context and practice. I figure it usually takes me about 5-10 times reading or listening to a word in different contexts to really be able to have it locked in. My suggestion is to start reading context sentences. Also if you have some grammar under your belt it might be time to start on Japanese only materials for non-natives like NHK easy JLPT test prep materials or graded readers. That will help reinforce words quickly.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree that learning with context is important. I’ve just been focusing so much on the WK grind that I have neglected reading things like NHK easy and doing grammar. Need to slow down a bit with WK and focus on the language as a whole.

1 Like

Definitely don’t beat yourself up over it though. Even with lots of context and reading or listening it takes awhile for things to click. Just keep it up and you’ll find yourself remembering and using words you struggled with in no time at all.

2 Likes

Seems to me you already did the main work here. :slight_smile: I actually just learned “atari” in the last level and I think what makes it difficult to remember for me as well is that the meaning was a bit unclear in my opinion. For me reading just the example sentences on WaniKani can sometimes be already enough to understand the nuance or multiple meanings of the word, and thereby making it hopefully easier to remember. (or even more confusing? :child: )
Still I think it is important to remember that WaniKani gives only the most common or comprehensive meanings, which is why I sometimes try to add an alternative meaning to the word if it makes more sense for me after I read some examples. I am also not an English native speaker, so sometimes some definitions stick to me better than others I might not be used to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.