How to deal with lessons

I’m about half way through level 2, and I seem to have a problem with lessons… Reviews are going pretty well for me, but the lessons are kinda starting to pile… I’m doing about 15 lesson items per day, but that doesn’t seem to be enough… I can do more, but over 15 words to remember is just hard for me to remember…

Are there any tips you can give me?

4 Likes

15 lessons a day sounds like a fine pace to me - there’s no requirement to go at any one speed.
Note that starting with level 3, the level durations are twice the length of level 1 and 2 (these are abbreviated levels), so you’ll have more time to lesson items before leveling up and unlocking more.

12 Likes

Sure, do exactly what you’re doing! It’s okay to have outstanding lessons. Much better to only take as many as you can remember, so I’d say you’re doing a good job so far.

12 Likes

(Repost: I accidentally posted this a reply to another message.)

(Cave-at: I’m only at level 4 at this point and still tweaking my method. My current pace is about 20-25 lessons per day whenever lessons are available, which seems to result in 12 days spent on each level.)

Don’t be intimidated by a bunch of lessons unlocking at the same time. Each level has about 100 vocabs, and most are going to unlock pretty much all at once if you do the kanji lessons in quick succession. So it’s entirely normal to have a few dozen vocabs sitting in your lesson queue once you’ve guru’d most kanjis from on your current level.

But just like you, I get stressed out by large queue counts easily, so I make a deliberate effort to clear out all the vocab lessons for the previous level before moving to the current level’s kanji lessons, just to make sure that vocab lessons don’t pile up. (I believe WK already orders lessons that way by itself, so maybe I’m doing useless work here, but it makes me feel in control which I like very much.)

To that end, I use the [Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Filter. When there are lessons, I do radicals first, then vocab, then kanji. Radicals have the highest priority to ensure that I have kanji available to learn as soon as the vocab lessons from the previous level are exhausted. Vocabs have the second-highest priority to keep the lesson queue small.

As I said, I aim for 20-25 lessons per day, so slightly more than you. However, on many days, my lesson queue is actually shorter. For example, today I only had 10 lessons because that was all that was in the queue. So if you go for 15 lessons per day, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to be that much slower than I do if that pace works for you. My pace comes out to 12 days per level right now, or 2 years in total. For your pace, I would guess maybe 2.5 years total if you’re aiming for going through all 60 levels.

2 Likes

I only do about 5-10 reviews a day, and only if my review pile is 0. I also try and keep my Apprentice count under 100 – at Level 2 you’re a ways away from 100 but you could set it to say 25 and see how that feels.

2 Likes

My approach to get a higher number of lessons done per day while avoiding lesson fatigue is pretty simple:

5 Lessons Every Hour

I find doing it this way lets me properly go over the lessons in around 5 minutes or less each hour, and spaces out their reviews over the rest of the day as well. I also pick 5 lessons because it’s by default the lowest number of lessons you can do in a single session on WaniKani.

With this method I normally aim for 40 lessons a day until the queue is empty. I can do more, but I find if I go over that number that reviews will start to come back in big waves.

1 Like

I agree with what @seanblue said. There is no need to do more than 15 lessons a day. Speed is a highly personal thing. The right pace depends on many factors including how good a memory you have. You should not try to imitate others but do what is right for you. If 15 lessons a day is what works for your memory then this is the correct pace for you.

4 Likes

The only thing I wish to add is to make sure you finish the lessons from the previous level first. That way, you’ll won’t continue getting more lessons while still having lessons from like 10 levels ago.

3 Likes

I’ve actually found that if I want to level up every 15 days I need to do 16 lessons per day (at my current level).

If I want to go at the fastest pace I would need to double that.

1 Like

I leveled up every 14-15 days, but I only had to do 12 lessons a day (excluding radicals) because I selected which lessons to do using [Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Filter. Besides radicals (wish I always did right away), I did 3 kanji lessons and 9 vocab lessons every day.

1 Like

I level up every 7-8 days and I just do 20 lessons a day. Doing 15 lessons a day is more than enough there are lots of people here who do less than that.

1 Like

Go at whatever speed is comfortable for you. The point is to learn.

I do 5-10 lessons per day (but sometimes none if I’ve got a lot of life happening). My pace is slower than most but It works for me.

1 Like

You’ll level up 3 days after doing all of the second wave of kanji (save 3). So if you have lessons settings set to random, it can take a long time to unlock and do those.

Right now, since I reset the levels are besically revision for me. I usually on level up do radicals right away, then previous level vocab and new kanji over the next couple days. I also do about 20 lessons per day (in the morning). My delays are usually just me not doing reviews one evening, or sleeping in, skipping lessons one day.

2 Likes

How many reviews per day/ apprentices did you have on average?

I don’t really remember. Plus I had a ton of leeches, so you couldn’t really base much on those numbers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.