How much have you read in Japanese?

I’m curious how much Japanese material people have read, so here are some polls. If I miss a category let me know and I’ll add a new poll.

You should only count something for the poll if you actually finished it.

How many volumes of Japanese graded readers have you read?

• 2-3
  • 4-5
  • 6-10
  • 11-15
  • 16-20
  • 21-30
  • 31-40
  • 41-50
  • 51+
0 voters

How many Japanese manga volumes have you read?

• 2-3
  • 4-5
  • 6-10
  • 11-15
  • 16-20
  • 21-30
  • 31-40
  • 41-50
  • 51+
0 voters

How many Japanese books (including light novels) have you read?

• 2-3
  • 4-5
  • 6-10
  • 11-15
  • 16-20
  • 21-30
  • 31-40
  • 41-50
  • 51+
0 voters

How many Japanese visual novels have you read/played?

• 2-3
  • 4-5
  • 6-10
  • 11-15
  • 16-20
  • 21-30
  • 31-40
  • 41-50
  • 51+
0 voters

NEW POLL

Maybe something like “how many hours have you spent reading” or something also, because I probably come in at “zero reading” on these scales because I tend to read articles, parts of non-fiction books, blogs, etc.

7 Likes

It’s hard to measure hours though. And people probably have no idea after a certain point how many hours they’ve read.

It’s not that hard… you can estimate how many hours per day you tend to spend reading on average and then multiply that over a timespan.

Or even just “hours per day” or “time per day” and leave it at that.

But it’s okay, I’ll just stick with “zero reading” ;_;

8 Likes

Maybe it’s just me. I haven’t even read that much, but I have no idea how many hours I’ve spent reading. If you suggest what hour ranges to include for the poll options I’ll create one though.

Yeah I was gonna say. Full routing one visual novel vs. playing a single route of another can be the difference of 70+ hours. Like me playing vol 0 of Neko para would probably take a fifteenth of the time it would take to fully completed hoshiori. Maybe even less honestly. It’s like comparing reading the giving tree to reading all of the GoT books.

2 Likes

Maybe you could add another poll for “non-books” and do that one by hours? Or perhaps ‘days where some reading was done’??! Or a non-fiction one (any format) and make the ‘Japanese books’ poll more explicitly for fiction…

I don’t know but I’d also struggle to estimate hours

2 Likes

For a daily estimate one, 15 minute chunks maybe? 15 mins or less, 15-30 min, 30-45 min, 45-60 min etc
However you’d actually do the number so there’s no overlap or whatever.

I’m also curious about fiction vs non-fiction.

Unrelated, but bookmeter.com really helped me count how many books I have read so far. I would have completely underestimated my count a few weeks ago.

(Speaking of which, my count is 21 fiction vs 4 non-fiction)

3 Likes

What counts as ‘one graded reader’, by the way? I was doing it by volume, but people may answer differently from each other if you don’t make it explicit. Like they might answer for the individual stories they read (the ones I have include five stories per volume, packaged as separate little books within a holder), or by level.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about graded readers. If you give me the exact wording for the question I’ll update it.

Probably just write “How many volumes of graded readers” or something

1 Like

I have a bunch of Japanese textbooks and dictionaries but haven’t bought actual reading material yet. Most of my reading resources were onilne so I read manga and web novels chapter-wise and not volume-wise.
So I’ll just say 10 chapters is about the same as 1 volume.

As for visual novels, I can’t say I read them fully in Japanese.
I almost finished Aiyoku no Eustia (all routes except final route) but relying a bunch of tools for translation. (text hooker, Mecab, rikai-kun, sometimes even Google Translate)
I finished one route in the localized version of Wagamama Highspec. Some Sekai Project visual novels have the option to show the Japanese text along with the English text which is really helpful.
Windows 10 Fall Creators update killed text hookers so I haven’t touched any visual novels lately.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d go with “how many volumes of graded readers” as Raionus suggested. So long as everyone is answering based on roughly the same criteria.

2 Likes

I’m completely ignorant about visual novels but what is err good (?) about them?
(That came out very wrong, but I have no idea how to formulate it better).
My (dumb) image is that it’s a kind of “chose your own story” book, but in a computer form… Am I wrong, or very wrong?

You’re not wrong. Part of the appeal (I think) to a lot of people is that they’re reaaaaaaaaaaly long. Like 10-15 hours is considered pretty short. I personally like a quality over quantity thing, but if you don’t care about writing quality then they’re basically like endless entertainment

1 Like

You should make the second poll multiple choices

1 Like

Multiple choice, please? :bowing_woman:

dammit Nath, haha

1 Like

I love how everyone is refraining from voting and patiently waits for the edit.

Edit: aaaaand it’s gone.

1 Like

Sorry! I closed them and will post again!

1 Like