How do you guys learn vocab not on WaniKani?

You can use pre-made decks like the core 10k (10,000 most common words).
https://community.wanikani.com/t/so-much-vocab/12050/1

You can either use the Anki version or use pre-made decks on various sites like kitsun.io, where they make reviewing and vocab/deck finding as easy as possible for you. The disadvantage of these sites is that they’re proprietary, you can’t always export your data, and if the site goes down, your progress goes down. But if you’re just looking for ease of use and don’t need the advantages of Anki (open, free, offline friendly), that’s a good way to go.

Personally, I mostly prefer adding new words I encounter to my decks myself instead of using pre-made decks, so I don’t get errors from them, and I have a sentence from media I’ve consumed to associate with it. But yes, it’s a bit of work. Though it’s just a few seconds with things like Yomichan and AnkiConnect, once you’ve set that up.

That’s really not Wanikani’s goal by the way. The vocab on WK is there to reinforce the kanji, to make it easier to remember them. That’s why some of the WK vocab is uncommon, and of course you don’t have any hiragana vocab on WK. WK is mostly for kanji. Trust me, you will already get enough reviews to work through on WK as it is (on higher levels).

8 Likes