How do you guys deal with coming back from a month long break?

Late in November I stopped using WaniKani due to finals at my uni. I was planning on continuing after they were done but then break came and I told myself I’d take the week off to relax (which of course became two and a half weeks). Flash forward to the end of December and I just came back to 270 reviews and I don’t remember a lot of it. I’ll get vocab words from level 3-4, not remember their kanji’s (from 3-4 as well) readings and start getting really frustrated. How do you guys deal with these kinds of situations? Can I wipe my progress from level 3-4? Should I just keep doing the reviews even if I keep getting vocab whose readings I don’t remember? I should probably also mention I have a notoriously horrible memory and it already took me 2 or sometimes 3 tries to get from master to enlightened and I never burned anything in the four and a half months I was using WaniKani.

At such a low level it might be easier to just reset a few levels. Otherwise you can just do a bit every day

1 Like

I just came back from a few months off and was greeted to 1300+ reviews :scream: It took me about two days to dig myself out of the reviews, doing about 100 at a time and then taking a break for a bit.

You’ll probably get a lot wrong but they’ll just go back in your queue for review. Its not that bad! You’ll then just get the chance to re-learn them again. It might feel like you’re starting back from scratch but either way you’ll be forced to confront them again and you’ll get back on them in no time.

Take it from me! It could be a lot worse. You’ll be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s different when you’re only level 4 and haven’t gotten into the pace, though. A level 16 would never balk at 270 reviews, that’s breakfast, but as you can see, a level 4 might.

2 Likes

Good to know there is an option to only go back a few levels! I was worried there wasn’t.

It’s under settings in the danger zone

I also came back from (more than a few) months off and around 1200 reviews. It took me more like 3 or 4 days though.

1 Like

Don’t worry about that. It takes ~6 months to burn items and they do not come back for review again. This way you can be sure to see them again . Reset one or two levels but make a commitment to return daily even if only for 10-15 minutes of reviews. Lessons can wait until you are ready.

1 Like
Fastest progress possible
Review SRS Level Total Wait Next Level
Lesson Apprentice 1 - 4h
1 Apprentice 2 4h 8h
2 Apprentice 3 12h ~1d
3 Apprentice 4 1d 11h ~2d
4 Guru 1 3d 10h ~1w
5 Guru 2 1w 3d 9h ~2w
6 Master 3w 3d 8h ~1M
7 Enlightened 7w 5d 7h ~4M
8 Burned 24w 6d 6h -

I reset my account to 1 from level 20. Twice. :sweat_smile: The next time I made sure to always do at least (often only) 10 reviews a day and not do any lessons until things calmed down. (There’s an icon clock in the review screen. Once you click on it it will limit you to only 10 items more than you’ve done to that point.)

At level 4 I’d reset it. Levels 1 and 2 are accelerated, and you can get back to level 4 within 2 weeks. In the future, try stopping with lessons 2 weeks before finals, and only do reviews (at least 10).

If you’re a busy uni student who’s not planning to go full speed, I’d recommend getting the lifetime account discount if you’re able to afford it.

1 Like

270 reviews you can get through in a day or two. Yes, you’ll get a bunch wrong, but that’s fine. Personally I don’t think you need to reset, but it’s easy enough to if you really want.

In general the approach is to set a goal date to be back down to zero, and figure out how many you need to do a day to get back there. On December 13th I came back to 3160 reviews. Today I’m down to 500, on track to hit 0 on Jan 1.

Are you using the mnemonics? Either the ones provided, or your own?

2 Likes

I just stopped using it and started taking lessons to strengthen my grammar.
maybe 1years later I will start at where i left.

1 Like

I’m in a similar boat. I cancelled my subscription in November when I started saving for Christmas, and now that I’m hoping to come back, IDK if level 7 is the right place for me. I’ve been keeping up with my (infrequent) reviews, but it feels like I’ve forgotten a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.