How do you do the core 10k?

I recently started the Anki core 10k. I keep seeing posts about how people are knocking the 10k out in a year, saying 10k/365 is only 28~ a day. So with that in mind, I’ve been doing 30 cards a day.

But I just realized the core 10k deck that I’m using has two cards for the word, two cards for a sentence, along with an additional card. So my 30 cards a day is only introducing me to 6 new words a day. Meaning the core 10k is something like 50000 cards. So my 30 a day pace will take me nearly 5 years to get through.

For those of you that are doing or have done the core 2/6/10k, how is your pacing? And for those of you that have finished, how and to what extent has the deck helped you?

1 Like

You can have the card show the word together with a sentence on the front if you want. I think thats how I did it back when I did the core 10k. And to answer the pacing thing, I did 20 new words a day.

Besides, there wont actually be 10k cards you need to learn since you’re using wk. For this reason I recommend using the deck that has the wk words already filtered out…Well I don’t recommend using the core 10k at all, actually. But if you’re going to, I recommend using that deck.

4 Likes

I have used the Core10K too, but in a different way.
Suspended all cards and only unsuspend and add to my reviews if I bumped into new words… so mostly was to avoid doing a card from scratch :sweat_smile:

I think the first 2000 words probably are very common but then some words in the 10k start to show that they come from newspaper vocab… as when comparing to decks I’ve made out of shows including 160,000 sentences, I still sometimes will find words only appearing in the Core10K with no other sentence using that word…

So instead of streching the Core10K I would recommend to add things as you go and read, listen , watch more japanese.

Core Dolly’s last videos are related to the same topic

Those could be helpfull.

By the way… 30 words per day … it’s too much!!! I started at 20, did that for about 8 months… and kept at 15 / day… after about 18 months with japanese I’m reaching 7,000 words and as more vocab it’s known less time I want to spend reviewing vocab… I’ll favor immersion as much a possible :+1:

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice Vanilla!

Why are you opposed to using the core 10k? So far, I’m really liking, it, granted I’ve only been through maybe 200 cards. The sentences and audio clips really add a lot I feel.

I definitely need some serious vocab supplementation, considering all I have to this point is mostly the wanikani vocab (half really useful, half terrible words to showcase kanji) and the couple hundred maybe thousand words I know from taking classes that used Genki I/II.

and Ncastaneda, I like the idea of making my own decks out of seen sentences/words, but I don’t feel like I’m at the point I can make my own decks like that, as I can’t really read anything real at this point, considering anything of real substance now consists of 50% unknown words for me. That avatar makes that video for an… interesting presentation

1 Like

I’ve been using Kitsun.io more intensively than Anki these past days. I can unlock the locked lessons whenever I want on Kitsun. I usually add 20 lessons more for Japanese I mostly already know because of my background or things I know from WK. I could’ve added 50 unlocked lessons more if I don’t do WK and BunPro.

I once got “First love” vocab from Listening activity to a Japanese TV, then post it here on this forum because I didn’t find this vocab on WK. Then I found Kitsun Dictionary feature is helpful. When I put “First love” into my Mining deck, I found that this vocab has also been there on 10k on set 9. Hah!

How helpful? Of course it is helpful combined with Mining! At least I know “First love” before I got to 10k set 9 on Kitsun.

I could’ve added links to my post, but I’m too lazy to post any links right now. So miaou!

2 Likes

Well, I’m opposed to it in the sense that I think there are better alternatives. I used it for maybe 1000 words or so back in 2017 I think and it definitely helped out with knowing some vocab.

The problem I have with it is this. Take the 1k most common words not found on wk. You’ll find words like 嘘, 本日, 回答, and stuff that are…well…very common. You’ll see them everywhere and there’s not much of a problem. Sure, learn them from a list and you’ll see them in context anyways.

But what about the 9000th most common word? Well…not so much. See past a certain point, these “uncommon words” that you see are super dependent on context. They may be common in some contexts that you’ll never find yourself in, but never appear in the things that you read or talk about in your day to day life. You may learn 巨視的 and not come across it for the next five years for all you know. Meanwhile you may come across some other word quite a bit that’s not in the core 10k.

Learning some of the most common words from a list is fine, but I think 10k is way too much. You’re already learning 6k from a list here on WK. I think that with kitsun and floflo now being a thing, any supplemental vocab past the really common stuff should be done outside of lists and in contexts that you care about.

Supplemental vocab is a huge necessity either way, but where you get that vocab from is just as important.

10 Likes

Genki I/II, level 16 in WK, and 200 words in the Core 10K ??? :wink::wink::wink:

You’re way ahead of me when I picked my first graded readers, those will give you only so many words per story :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve done the first couple graded readers (the ones I could find online anyway… they cost their weight in gold it seems) Maybe I’m just not studying diligently enough, but to me, there seems to be a MASSIVE gap between those and say, NHK easy, which is some of the most basic available content that doesn’t start off with 昔々… that I’ve found anyway

I also do 30 cards a day.
I found a core 10k version that only uses the example sentences so there’s one card per word. Can’t remember where I found that though.

I’ll have to look for that. That would definitely streamline things, although the sentences have a TON of higher level (for me, anyway) kanji thrown in. My brain might melt before long seeing all of those additional new words or kanji in addition. Reading Japanese is more exhausting than lifting weights at this point for me.

1 Like

Try these free Graded Readers

White Rabbit also has an app (ios and android) where you can buy individual stories rather than a full set. Lv.2 (N4) or Lv.3 (N4/N3)
They have a curated vocabulary along with professional audio.
White Rabbit

Im going to echo what some others have said that aiming to do the whole core10k before other things will be quite ineffective. You can only get better at reading by actually reading. With the availiblity of Kitsun and FloFlo, you can actually study words that you will encounter in what you will be reading.

I use the a 10k vocab deck, 10k katakana deck, and 2k kana deck in Anki. Recognition and recall card per note. I learn 5 new words per day from each deck. It’s adjunct vocab to my WaniKani studies. Here is a screen shot.

I plan on stopping at a relative point once I have enough vocab to read easy content. Probably around 2k words or level 15-20 WaniKani After that I plan to switch to learning with that netflix reading plugin and books/manga.

How? It’s the one thing i hate the most in Anki, i pay iKnow because of it

I did this over a year ago and I’m sure there are tutorials online, but there was a special option to make your own card type iirc. There you can make the general layout of the card so when you go to make a new one, there will be the fields that you specify, and you can make it have two fields on the front of the card or whatever.

2 Likes

If you are planning to use Anki for a while it is also worth learning how to change it yourself.

I personally prefer a quantity over quality approach. I use the core deck for listening practice and getting exposed to new words but I don’t do it as intensively as it was originally set up.

So I have just one card type: audio of the sentence on the front, everything else on the back.

Since I also go through WaniKani in the same way (lots of exposure instead of spending time on getting things correct in this very limited context), I don’t mind the additional exposure to WK vocab. Usually as soon as I learn a card in the core deck, it also starts to click in WaniKani.

2 Likes

Ok, I started answering your post, then I kept adding stuff, and adding stuff, and adding stuff.
About 5-6 hours later I converted it over to a guide and four hours after that I finished it and posted it here:

@_@
Oro…

2 Likes

Thank you! I really want to start using anki but faced troubles doing so, hope you’re guide can help

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.