How do the levels work?

What level includes all of N5 (kanji only, I realize it’s not for grammar and stuff)? Also, how long is each level supposed to take? Are there any public statistics or data for how long it takes people on average?

Not sure about statistics on how long people take to level up, but WKStats has an overview of how much of any given JLPT level’s kanji you’ll have covered by what WK level:

That said, don’t get too hung up on that. Context will clarify a lot, so you hardly need to have guru’d 100% of kanji for any given level, and aside from that kanji knowledge is only one of many things that will let you score well on the JLPT.

3 Likes

The reality is that most people quit halfway because it’s hard to be consistent on something every single day for a solid 1 to 2 years.

I’d say that a good pace for the average learner would be to complete the program in 2 years. I completed it in 1 year, but I had the time to do so. A lot don’t.

WK does very well with kanji, and it does teach you a nice amount of 6000+ words. No grammar, however.

5 Likes

Check out the knowledge-base for the specifics. Helps a lot to know how the SRS-levels work as you use WK. :slight_smile:

So, after the first 2 levels, 1 level takes just under 7 days. That is, until you hit the “fast levels”. These are currently levels 43, 44, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, where 1 level takes under 5 days to complete.

Most people don’t go full speed through WK. You’d need to have a lot of prior study of Japanese + a lot of spare time, to keep that up without burning out.

And regarding burning…

Not that I know of, though some users on here have attempted other statistics.

There is the level distribution of users, which gives you an idea of how many people never complete WK for a number of reasons (IRL events, work/other studies, burnout, moving onto immersion learning, choice etc.)

My tip is to use the first 10 levels of WK to experiment with your own pacing: how many lessons you do per day, how many reviews you’re comfortable with per day within your IRL schedule, what times of day you prefer to do reviews and in what batch size etc.

Then use this knowledge to your advantage and get into a more set habit and just follow through.

Completing WK is a marathon: so always do your reviews! But planning for how you’re to accomplish that, is prudent.

Always think about balancing this hobby with other IRL stuff, is my tip. :slight_smile:

3 Likes