Help with lesson picker

Hi! I’ve just started studying new lessons after a couple months. I am at Level 34 and my new items in the lesson included things like “good morning” and “hotel” in kana, which I really do not need to study. I see the new Lesson Picker but I can’t figure out how to use it even after looking at the help and searching this forum. It looks like I can click on items and they will be added to my lessons. I can’t see how to remove them. I am afraid I am missing something embarassingly obvious but, can someone help?

1 Like

The only way to skip items with the lesson picker is to select the items you want to study (kanji etc) and not select the katakana words. That does mean the katakana words will sit in the queue forever. You just have to ignore them. There isn’t a way to permanently remove them from the queue.

when you say they’ll sit in the queue, you mean they will always be lurking in the lesson picker, but never show up in my lessons/reviews?

So the daily lessons work two ways. One is to click ‘start lessons’ which will give you a random mix of lessons from the lesson queue. The second is to use the lesson picker and manually select vocab from the same queue. If you use ‘start lessons’ then you will get katakana vocab because WK will just automatically add them in. To skip them, you will have to use the lesson picker every time to select the vocab you want to learn each day. It’s up to you if the extra effort is worth it or not.

If you never do a katakana vocab lesson, they won’t show up in reviews.

Ah, ok, I think I get that. That’s why the lesson picker has a ton of items from level 34 and only scattered ones at earlier levels. So I would have to pick lessons manually forever - as soon as I accidentally click “start lessons” it’s gonna sneak some of those earlier items in. And there’s no way to get rid of “hotel” and “good morning” now that they are in my reviews.

This is super complicated! Why not just a thing to click on in an entry to remove it from reviews? Weird. But thank you!

Yep.

Yeah, it’s a little bit odd. A lot of people are just glad that there’s any way to skip the katakana vocab, since there wasn’t a way previously. But that doesn’t mean it’s particularly convenient. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best of luck in your studies!

2 Likes

i really don’t understand why wanikani just doesn’t make it optional…