HELP! Can I finish WaniKani in a year? šŸ˜°

Iā€™m almost finished level three, and when I do finish Iā€™m planning on buying the one year subscription for 110 Canadian dollars, since I canā€™t afford the lifetime subscription. Iā€™ve been checking with other people who have been using WaniKani for years now and have reached levels 40+, and their average level up times are seven to eleven days. If I do all of my reviews and lessons in time, is it possible to level up in maybe five days or so? I really need to finish before September 2019 at which point Iā€™ll have to switch and start learning Arabic for religious reasons. I just want to know if itā€™s possible.

2 Likes

Sadly, five days is absolutely impossible. The absolute fastest you can go each level is six days and twenty hours, and thatā€™s if you donā€™t get any of your radicals or kanji wrong past the first wave while trying to get them to Guru.

This is because perfectly guruā€™ing all the radicals and the first set of kanji takes, at the maximum speed, 3 days and 10 hours. However, since you need to guru 90% of Kanji and Radicals to level up, youā€™ll need to usually guru the kanji unlocked by guruā€™ing the previous Radicals and Kanji. This is an additional 3 days and 10 hours.

5 Likes

The final levels are faster, you can at least reach level 55ā€“56 or so within a year. You can get the last levels in another month, or just ditch them, you can still look up the kanji you encounter in the wild.

Edit: you still need to burn a lot of stuff, though ā€¦

Do you want to stop learning Japanese in September? Whatā€™s the point of learning kanji then?

3 Likes

No, Iā€™m not going to stop. I just want to reach some point of fluency by then because I think it would be kind of hard to learn Arabic and Japanese at the same time. Iā€™ve already been learning Japanese for maybe fourteen months, where I concentrated on conjugation and grammar and such.
And thanks so much for the answer. :grin:

Thatā€™s ok, I can still buy maybe two or three more months after that if I have to since theyā€™re not that expensive. I donā€™t want to have to buy the year subscription like three times and then have it be more expensive than just having bought the lifetime in the first place.

ā€œReaching level 60ā€ means you unlocked the final kanji, so to ā€œfinishā€ WK you need another 6 months.

If you are content with just reaching the end, you need one year + another one month subscription, if you do everything perfectly it may even fit into one year if you clear out level 1ā€“3 and then start the subscription (or just a few days over a year).

1 Like

Trying to burn all the level 60 items is really extra. You donā€™t need to do that.

@TheMusicalNinja
You can get to level 60 in just over a year, but the method is really specific. There are posts on the forum about how to do it. You need to be able to do stuff like set timers and drop what youā€™re doing if youā€™re going for it.

1 Like

Thaaaaaaaaaank you
Youā€™re all so helpful

Iā€™m currently burning around level 30, if I would stop with reaching level 60 it would feel very incomplete then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why are you learning Arabic? Theres no kanji in Arabic LOL. But although be nice Wanikani teach whatever you call it in Arabic, lines? Because I had saw with Arabic, they connect the lines together somehow to form a word. Like Hangul. You should learn Korean because of the Hangul is easy and straight forward

1 Like

What?..

35 Likes

Iā€™m not learning Arabic on WaniKani lol. Iā€™m learning Arabic because 1 Iā€™m
Muslim so it would be good to know and 2 Iā€™m just interested in the language. Itā€™s a completely separate thing from me learning Japanese right now and the only reason I mentioned it is because it would be hard to do Arabic and Japanese at the same time so I need to finish Japanese before I start it.

16 Likes
  1. Nice avatar :slight_smile:
  2. As mentioned above, you can get to level 60 in a year, and even get an average of 5 days something per level. That being said, it will be either 6days 20h or 3 days 10h per level. And unlocking the last level does not mean you have learned everythingā€¦ But it might be good enough, depending on your goals (i.e. what does it mean to ā€œfinishā€ Japanese).
4 Likes

In a year, you can get significantly far enough to be able to get by. You can get to like level 40 or so at a fairly comfortable pace. That is still a lot to have learned. Plus at that point you will have gotten significantly better at learning new kanji, so you should be more able to tackle new kanji on your own. Still though, obviously the ideal would be to finish it all the way out. Since it sounds like your situation is less than ideal, maybe settling for 40 is good enough. Not sure though, just my 3 cents. Best of luck.

12 Likes

Psssst. Hey, kid, I got the goods . . .

Donā€™t share codes.

Edit: I think it works for monthly and yearly subscriptions but sadly not the lifetime subscription.

6 Likes

@anon20839864 I see what you did there, but itā€™s still possible to check through the edit history. Maybe you want to do something about that? (I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible though)

2 Likes

Do you have plans to maintain your Japanese once you begin studying Arabic? If you cram hard in Japanese for a year and then do the same with Arabic, youā€™ll probably forget all your Japanese during that year of Arabic.

I studied French for 3 years, then Japanese for 1.5 years, then Arabic for 2 years. Now I canā€™t speak any of those languages. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you get to level 60 in a year on wanikani and then stop reading Japanese, Iā€™m sure you lose your kanji real quick.

Also, I would agree with TamanegiNoKame. You could easily get to a lower level on wanikani and that might be a more meaningful, realistic target.

13 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s possible because Iā€™ve been on another discourse forum where checking edit history is disabled (at least for normal users).

There is a wonderful guide about ā€œThe fast wayā€ in WK. I do it and itā€™s very manageable. I level up every week (7 days), donā€™t feel stressed and Iā€™m leaning SO MUCH!

Cheers to @jprspereira for that. Great guide!!

And if you are asikg: when will I be what level? When do I know X percent of N3 Vocab / G6 Jojo Kanji /ā€¦?
Here you go:https://www.wkstats.com/
(You will find your API Key under https://www.wanikani.com/settings/account)

~T :lion:

Edit: there is a wonderful website where you can watch anime with japanese subs. Perfect for learning japanese at an intermediate level :slight_smile:
Donā€™t want to post it here, but google something like ā€œanime with japanese subā€ should lead you the way.

10 Likes

My one-year anniversary of registering on WK is May 27, if that gives an idea. You wonā€™t reach level 60 but you can certainly learn the great majority of kanji youā€™ll see in a year.

But keep in mind that it doesnā€™t do much good if you donā€™t also study grammar, and itā€™s extremely time consuming to do both grammar and WK full speed. I havenā€™t been able to myself!

And I also share the concern youā€™ll forget it all within months of starting Arabic. SRS can only work so much, 4 months is good but burning an item doesnā€™t guarantee retention (especially if it was a fortunate guess).

4 Likes