Hello! A question about level 28 - 比較的 vs. 比較的に :)

In lesson 28, I have seen that there is 比較的 which is translated as comparatively.

However, Wouldn’t comparatively be 比較的に?

The logic behind my think is… 比較 is comparison… 比較的 is comparative (as 的 makes it a な adjective)… and finally getting to 比較的に being comparatively (as the に makes it an adverb).

I have checked a few dictionaries that agree with me.

Please help!

Thank you!

I see your point, but don’t get too hung up on precise English translations, it doesn’t really work like that. Search for sentences that use these words and you’ll see how they work.

The answer is yes and I added comparative as a synonym for exactly that reason. WaniKani is really bad at parts of speech.

This is the right answer @wolfclayton . And in this case, 比較的 is listed as a 副詞, AKA an Adverb, in my dictionary. See here.

Example: この店は比較的安い “This store is comparatively cheap”

Are you saying that in this case 比較的 is a word all on its own, with the part of speech adverb, separate from the 的 suffix that turns a noun into a na-adjective?

So I did some looking into this. And I’d say it’s the same 的 but the usage of 的 seems to be broader than that.

Basically this usage somehow comes from the influence of Chinese, where in Modern Chinese it is used to make adjectives and connect nouns, similar to both の and な ,such as 我是高的男人。I am a tall man, or 那个有红色的车。 That is a red car. But this usage is modern, and 之 did this in Classical Chinese.

So in Japanese, this usage doesn’t start until the Meiji era and can be used both without な and as a generic connector. While you can do this with anything, it’s more common with certain words. And in this case it’s’s likely that this usage came about from that origin, but has just been solidified into an adverb from that. I can’t find anything specifically about this word though.